I'm hooked

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cypress

Reaction score
I finally had my lye come in today and made my first batch. It has already fully gelled about 1\2 hour in it looks awesome. I again want to thank everyone here for a wealth of information, and the generosity to take the time to set a newbie straight. :p Now we just have to find out how the soap turn out. ;-)

Wonderful! What kind of soap did you make? Did you scent it? Color? Don't forget to take pictures when it's cut!!

No color, no scent, it's laundry bar soap. I figured I'm dangerous walking across the floor best not try anything too fancy. I'm kind of on the fence about trying scent or color, since I have such a bad reaction to commercial ones.

Last edited:
No color, no scent, it's laundry bar soap. I figured I'm dangerous walking across the floor best not try anything too fancy. I'm kind of on the fence about trying scent or color, since I have such a bad reaction to commercial ones.

I know quite a few people that have problems with commercial soap colors/scents. They have no reactions with the soap I make with natural colors/fragrances. I think it would be worth a try to play around some when you're ready. Plain soap is still amazing though, I love naked soaps.

*Be careful though, I have no idea what your reactions are to. I don't want to cause you any harm!

Last edited:
I may be an anomaly, but commercial bars and commercial liquid soap gives me horrible hives, and not one of my cp bars has....even with fragrances. I always assumed it was the fo's, but obviously for me, it is one of the additives in soaps and LS that gives me hives....fo's and micas/oxides are good to go!!! It's amazing being able to use my own soaps without rashes, dots/splotches, and itchy burning in places that are unmentionable.

Welcome to the addiction!

My skin tends to turn red, crack, and then peel off. Unfortunately I'm not exaggerating. It would be nice to try scents and color eventually. I saw one on here that used dandelion leaves to color soap and thought I probably wouldn't have a reaction to that, so maybe down the road.

Allergies aren't to be messed with, so I totally understand your apprehension. My reactions were more of an eczema like reaction or irritation than a true allergy. Big difference. Either way, congratulations on your first batch of soap!!

Really good handmade soap is so amazing that it doesn't even need fragrance or color. It really is that good. Fragrance and color are almost like gilding the lily. If you've seen the movie Nightmare Before Christmas, you'll remember the scene where Jack sees snow for the first time, and says, "What's this? What's this?" That's exactly what I said the first time I used a bar of spectacular olive oil soap, that was unscented and uncolored. I'd used soap all my life, but it was nothing like that bar. It was a whole 'nother animal. And that "plain" bar is what got me into soapmaking. You are going to love your soap, plain or not. You really will. Woo hoo!!!

I have similar dry cracking problems and most synthetic fragrances cause my face to heat up and go bright red. I have never had a problem from any essential oil scented soap and have tried quite a few different combinations. It might be worth giving a small scented batch a try. There are tons of natural colourants as well that you could try working with. There are various helpful threads around the forum. As everyone else said though, washing with unscented cp soap can still be a wonderful experience in its own right.

I had horrible eczema before making my own soap. I am now able to use EOs and natural colorants. I am not going to push my limits with FOs. You might surprise yourself with being able to tolerate soap. But I am with the "start with plain soap" crowd. If you react to that, then you know for sure.

I think I'm going to try my second batch today. Do you think its too soon for hot process? I can't wait to make something for my skin we're in the middle of a cold snap and my hands are not happy at all. Could someone send some of their heat over my way if they have any extra.:smile:

Hubby insists that I make unscented batches for him every once in a while - thats his preference, and they really are very nice soaps.

Many people actually start with HP soaps before CP. As long as you dont stress it, and expect to see every stage, you should be fine. But while the soap is safe to use in a day or two (just like well gelled CP or CPOP soap), and will clean you, it really does need a few weeks to gentle and cure to be at its best.

Many people believe it's the fragrance in a commercial product that gives them a problem. This is not too far from the truth when you consider that fragrance is protected as a trade secret and does not require disclosing. Some companies will throw "chemicals" into the fragrance to hide them and slip them into the product. However, when it comes to commercial soap, there are other things like preservatives that can cause a problem, not to mention sometimes it's a synthetic detergent -- not even a soap, at all!

Good luck on your endeavors and welcome to the club! :)

Girlishcharm2004 I never thought of the preservatives in soap being a problem, but that would explain why free and clear products for sensitive skin no longer agree with me. Definitely shows I'm on the right path.

All you guys have been nothing but helpful and I appreciate all your help and wonderful support.

Hello and welcome to the addiction. You will find your handmades soaps a 100% improvement over store bought soaps. And you know what you are putting in them.

Latest posts

Back