If you utilize both CP and HP methods,

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms. Moore

Reaction score
Have you noticed the quality of your soaps are slightly different?

It's a strange thing but I tend to make two batches of soap one hot process and the other cold.

I've noticed the cold process, though it lathers it doesn't lather as fully and thickly as the hot process. In terms of use, it also feels differently. The hot process always feels more moisturizing (I don't require much moisturizing after bathing--light oil) than the cold process (makes my skin extremely dry--I have to moisturize with shea butter while still wet).

The ONLY time I've noticed the cold process being on par with the hot is when I use coconut milk for my liquid in the lye solution.

I have my theories as to what is happening. I wonder though if others have noticed this, if you make both.

I find you are right in the short term. My HP is much bubblier (is that a word?) than the CP after a normal 4 week cure. However, after several months, my CP is no different than the HP. I think that it just proves how much a long cure really benefits CP.

Hi Nancy!

I thought maybe that was the case at first.

I made the usual two batches of soap, shampoo bar, 19 Sept. The cp soap still has a paltry lather. Do you think it still needs more curing? :(

In fact, I have bars upon bars of lovely cold process soap that have been curing for months and no change. Meanwhile the hot process soaps are getting all the love.

There is no zapping of any of the soaps so I am comforted there.

I think my next experiment will be to simply change the mold. I think the only variable is the difference in temperature and perhaps my cp soap is losing a lot of heat and not sufficiently gelling.

Ms. Moore said:
I have my theories as to what is happening

Please do share your theories. I'm kicking around the idea of doing a batch of HP soap - the thought of it being ready without weeks and weeks of curing is an attractive one.

Why do you think the qualities of HP soap are so much more desirable than CP soap for the same recipe?

Without doing a side by side comparison, I didn't notice any difference in lather. Except for a salt bar, which would support your point, problem is they have different salt amounts.

Generally speaking I didn't find HP more moisturizing than CP.

perhaps my cp soap is losing a lot of heat and not sufficiently gelling.
Well ... are you CPs gelled or not ?

Back