I tested my soap on animals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pull up a chair on the lawn across the street, crack a beer and get on the phone with the cops. ...he he he soap opera....

Waiting for the police or PETA to turn up. Exit stage :arrow: (If I go left I'll smack into a wall).

Here I thought you were testing it on the in-laws .. hahahhaha

Many career reincarnations ago I used to work as a dog groomer and while the "salon" was selling high priced dog shampoos in front, in the back they were using 1:20 diluted dish detergent. It cuts the grease of a dog's coat really well and because it's so diluted it's gentle on the skin and rinses out quick, making for a fast and easy wash. Wash, rinse, repeat .. done and dried. Customers were none the wiser and were always happy with the results.

I still do that today and our long haired doxie is always clean and happy .. for a ridiculously low price.

ETA .. your two look extremely happy with the product and the attention.

Acquaintance of mine had 20 coon hounds and swore by Joy dishwashing liquid. Said it got rid of fleas and ticks and the dogs loved it.

I suppose if a dog got washed couple times a week, what you used for shampoo might make a big difference. My crew? They're lucky if they get washed once a month. Generally after rolling in something absolutely unmentionable they find at my hog farmer neighbor's place. Whatever soap is the closest to hand is what I grab, including Dawn dishwashing detergent for the really awful stuff.

ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!!!

no, but seriously..... I bought this "all natural dog shampoo" a few years ago. I was using it recently on my dogs, and read the ingredients. it was basically a liquid soap that was mostly CO, with some hemp oil added. they've never reacted to the shampoo, and I'm just about run out of that dog shampoo, so I think it's time that I make some dog bars....

Said it got rid of fleas and ticks

Hijacking the thread here, but I would have to respectfully disagree with that one. In my vast experience with literally thousands of dogs, NO soap or detergent will get rid of fleas and ticks. They will simply be squeaky clean like the dog. You might successfully wash away some of the adults but not all, and not the eggs stuck to the hairs. It is a short hatch later and the animal is covered again.

Stick to the chemical treatments to clear those critters or if you want a natural treatment i sweat by Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for killing fleas and ticks, it's not instant but within a few days they are all gone and it does the eggs too. The great thing is the ability to powder their bedding, house, your home and anything else that needs treated and then just vacuum it up after a few days or a week. We used it on dogs, horses, cats, the house, kid's headlice .. any thing and every thing with more than 4 legs got powdered.

I would make dog soap with DE in it if I thought the DE would still be effective after getting wet. Something to research there.

^^ I don't think DE is effective when wet. they only work well b/c the insects inhale the particles which break their exoskeleton, shrivel up, and die. when wet, there's no chance of insects inhaling the particles.....

^^ I don't think DE is effective when wet. they only work well b/c the insects inhale the particles which break their exoskeleton, shrivel up, and die. when wet, there's no chance of insects inhaling the particles.....

Interesting .. my understanding is it scratches them as they walk around in it and the insects dry out and die.

My two dogs (a long Haired Doxie and a Beagle) do well with my pet shampoo and I gave my hairdresser some to use on her Standard Poodle. She raved about it!

this thread made me missed my dog soooo much :( he passed away more than 2 yrs ago at a ripe old age of 13. i've had him since he was 2 mths old. i can just imagine that if he's still around, he'll me my guinea pig as well, not to mention my constant companion at my wee hours soaping time.
My service dog passed away unexpectedly on December 20th. Thats her with me in my avatar. I've been at my boyfriends since the 22nd.... I keep putting off going home. My dog Emma is also grieving and very lonely, she keeps trying to play when with my boyfriends mothers dogs but they're too obese to play... She was always my easy going dog, much less velcro. But whenever we let the bfs mom watch her she waits at the door for me to come back and get her. And early on my boyfriend said when I left to use the bathroom she would get up and wait staring at the door for me.

Hijacking the thread here, but I would have to respectfully disagree with that one. In my vast experience with literally thousands of dogs, NO soap or detergent will get rid of fleas and ticks. They will simply be squeaky clean like the dog. You might successfully wash away some of the adults but not all, and not the eggs stuck to the hairs. It is a short hatch later and the animal is covered again.

Stick to the chemical treatments to clear those critters or if you want a natural treatment i sweat by Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for killing fleas and ticks, it's not instant but within a few days they are all gone and it does the eggs too. The great thing is the ability to powder their bedding, house, your home and anything else that needs treated and then just vacuum it up after a few days or a week. We used it on dogs, horses, cats, the house, kid's headlice .. any thing and every thing with more than 4 legs got powdered.

I would make dog soap with DE in it if I thought the DE would still be effective after getting wet. Something to research there.

Gotta disagree with you ;) you're only half right. In fact ANY soap will kill fleas, but only the adults. Any soap lather thats allowed to remain on the dog for a full 10 minutes will drown adult fleas. Dishsoap has a very stable lather, and thats the reason so many people recommend it and claim it kills fleas. But unfortunately most don't know how its killing fleas, and you get claims like it has to be the lemon one, it has to be dawn brand... But any soap/shampoo applied from the neck down (so the fleas can't hide on the head) and with a lather left for 10 minutes will drown adult fleas.

The DE isn't inhaled, it cuts the exoskeleton dehydrating the fleas. Its also really drying to the skin, and can be very dangerous if inhaled. I've used it on my pets, and personally I prefer to use it in the environment and not on the animal itself. Like applying to any carpets, or it can be applied to the grass if the fleas are in the yard. Nematodes are better in the yard though, since the DE would need reapplied if it rains. Just don't be walking around the carpet barefoot after applying DE, so very drying to the skin!

When applying to the dog, I applied outside while wearing a mask to prevent my own inhalation of the DE but I also worry about the dogs inhalation.

Well it's been a few hours now and the boys are rash free. Hutch is a Dudley with sensitive skin so he was my oversized canary down the mine. I think the Lab test is a success.

I also have a Dudley Lab with sensitive skin. Great job with your soap and testing. Homemade, lab approved ;)

Back