I learned to how change my oil today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah! Isn't that awesome!? Ice wanted to learn it for the longest time and I was nearly 10,000 miles overdue for an oil change... A friend of a friend is a jack of all trades and offered to change it for me and show me how to, so today was the day!

Didn't realize it was that easy!-- they charge me $ 50 for THAT!? Geeze what a ripoff! Never again! All it cost me today was five bucks for a filter and eighteen for oil, of which ice still got some left!

Feeling more like macguyver every day!

That's my husbands department,l don't even know how to put oil in the car let alone change it and l plan to stay in blissful ignorance :lol:

I always change my own oil! I agree-what a rip off! If you get one of those books about your car, you will be surprized at what you can do! I replaced my heater motor in my truck one time, and I always change my own spark plugs and wires. It's not so bad! Congrats Ian! ( I guess I'm a Jill of all trades) Poverty makes one smarter!

Ok, I can rebuild a carb, change a tire, all that good stuff. My dad restores old cars and I grew up in a house with a hydraulic lift in the garage, it was kinda our father/daughter time.

But I have my oil changed. Ever 4500 miles, same place, every time. It's quick, easy and they're equipped to dispose/recycle the used oil. Not a bad deal for $19.00.

:D I want to learn more about cars so bad, its been one thing that has always intimidated me... everyone tells me theyre like adult legos... and yeah I was a lego fiend when I was a kid... but all the intricacies of cars are intimidating!!

I figure if I learn little things like the oil change and stuff like that itll all add up to knowledge piece by piece...

poverty def. makes one smarter indeed! :)

Deda you are a badasss lol I wish I could do that.. I dont even know where to find a carb lol

Oil chages are easy but it's very common for people new to mechanics to mess up the drain bolt. It's very important that you tighten it enough that it doesn't fall out but not so tight that the threads are damaged/destroyed. Repairing it can be a big deal.

If you're unsure, you can use a torque wrench. It's a wrench with some sort of scale to let you know how tight your tightening a bolt.

For the filter, just put a light coat of oil on the gasket and hand-tighten.

donniej said:
Oil chages are easy but it's very common for people new to mechanics to mess up the drain bolt. It's very important that you tighten it enough that it doesn't fall out but not so tight that the threads are damaged/destroyed. Repairing it can be a big deal.

If you're unsure, you can use a torque wrench. It's a wrench with some sort of scale to let you know how tight your tightening a bolt.

For the filter, just put a light coat of oil on the gasket and hand-tighten.

:) My friend was veeeery clear in showing those two things to me...for exactly those reasons :) glad that you reiterated it too though as I need to commit these things to memory :)

My car was sooooooooooo overdue for an oil change it was nasty... wasnt even oil anymore...more like sludge lol...

straight up BLACK and it was well below the "low" line...

afterall it had been nearly 10,000 miles since the last one :oops: :oops: :oops: then I discovered I didnt need to pay $50 for an oil change (which is why I didnt get one for so long...just dont have that money right now.. it was either oil change vs buy food for the month lol)

Latest posts

Back