i just found lye right by my house!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score
i usually have to drive all the way to the other side of atlanta to buy my lye and then i pay bout $5 for a pound of it. (i don't buy it in bulk...yet) so anyways i am shopping at this little rinky dink grocery store just to pick up some milk and my DS spots a whole shelf of lye and it is $2.49! it is the exact same stuff i was buying all the way across town and it is less than a mile from my house!! i am so super excited!!

i just finished my first batch of soap in my new soaping room. the house we moved into last week has a whole space just for me and my obsession, and i am thrilled with it!!

so cool. I just moved all my stuff down to my laundry room cuz everything was in bins and I had to carry up and down stairs every time I made soap. So I got a shelf and am all set up. Looking forward to using the new spot. Sure you are glad for yours!

I'm happy for you, Krissy!!
My DH fixed up an outbuilding just for my soaping last year - I've only just begun to use it this past month! (I was sick for a while and only now back into soaping)
Such a joy to have everything in one place - but I do have to take my water out there with me, and bring the utensils in to clean afterwards.
Hey! Maybe he'll run a water line!! :D

Congrates on the find. I am not sure why others have such a hard tim finding lye. Most hardware store and home improvment stores carry it in the plumbing section for cloges. I know lowes and home depot plus ace hardware carry it. If you can't find it ask someone in plumbing they will know where it is. Yes, there are still food stores carrying it too. Just not red devil brand is all.

nebetmiw said:
Congrates on the find. I am not sure why others have such a hard tim finding lye. Most hardware store and home improvment stores carry it in the plumbing section for cloges. I know lowes and home depot plus ace hardware carry it. If you can't find it ask someone in plumbing they will know where it is. Yes, there are still food stores carrying it too. Just not red devil brand is all.

all the big brand stores here dont have it, except Ace did, but i got the new ones at Piggly Wiggly.

congrats on your find ! I was buying at Ace hardware 16oz for 4.99 and happen to check at the grocery store ( always looking ) and found it for 2.39 - The same brand too ... ((( and I can't wait until I have a room for my soaping- everything now in totes and all over my kitchen :cry: )))

nebetmiw said:

I have not seen lye Lowe's or Home Depot - there are drain cleaners, but not 100% lye. I've only found it at Ace Hardware (Rooto brand).

The Rooto brand is what I buy in a pinch. It is expensive there so i try to remember to order it. Lord knows that doesn't always happen. :wink:

I found mine at ACE as well but it was only about $3 for the 1lb container. You'd think they would have it at hobby lobby or AC Moores or somewhere like that , but they don't I called every arts and crafts within 2 hours of here before I decided to try ACE.

Ace Hardward was the only place near me that carries 100% lye. Lowes & Home Depot both stopped carrying it due to it's use in meth.

Once I get to the point where I can buy larger quantities, I'm planning on getting it from thelyeguy.com. Has anyone bought from that site before?

The lye guy had the lowest prices I found, taking shipping into consideration. He was a little slow on the shipping but I'm willing to overlook that for a good deal.

Back