I have flakes !!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagiaDellaLuna

Reaction score
Only other soapers would understand my excitement !!

I found a local supplier for lye flakes, which I much prefer to the granules.
They are just so much easier to handle IMO.

Lucky! I used to order flakes on-line, but it became a problem. I'm not organized enough to plan that far ahead. :oops: Now I just use the stuff I find at the local hardware store. It's in those little jumpy beads. Dryer sheets are my best friend now.

NancyRogers said:
Dryer sheets are my best friend now.

Ok, you've piqued my interest. Do you rub down your lye measuring container before using it??? I HATE using the beads, but I have a large quantity and need to use them up before searching for the flakes.

naturesphilosophy said:
Ok, you've piqued my interest. Do you rub down your lye measuring container before using it??? I HATE using the beads, but I have a large quantity and need to use them up before searching for the flakes.

You can rub down the container in which the lye is stored AND the measuring container. Don't forget to include the lid in the rub down :)

It removes the static and then it is easier to measure out the lye without having missiles flying all over the room.

ETA !!

You only rub down the outside of the containers.

So the beads you're talking about, do they look like little crystals? I've never seen the flakes before...I ordered my lye from Camden Grey and it looked like little crystals, this time around I ordered from Essential Depot and it's called micro beads?

FloridaSoaper said:
So the beads you're talking about, do they look like little crystals? I've never seen the flakes before...I ordered my lye from Camden Grey and it looked like little crystals, this time around I ordered from Essential Depot and it's called micro beads?
Lye comes mainly in 4 forms: pellet, crystal, flake, and in solution. Micro beads fall under pellet. I know that Bramble Berry carries flake- I'm not sure who else.

Oh weird! So I guess I've been using the crystal form - which I really don't like...guess I'll get to try pellet. Hmmm...not sure if I'll like that either, but the container from Essential Depot looks soo much easier to handle than the vapor lock lid from camden. My fingers hurt so bad after prying the lid off and it was just a pain...I'd much rather half a child-like twist cap than the pry-off suction kind. And the container is tall instead of squat and round so I'll be able to pour into my container on the scale instead of spooning into the container...sounds much easier in theory anyway! :) Thanks!

FloridaSoaper said:
Oh weird! So I guess I've been using the crystal form - which I really don't like...guess I'll get to try pellet. Hmmm...not sure if I'll like that either, but the container from Essential Depot looks soo much easier to handle than the vapor lock lid from camden. My fingers hurt so bad after prying the lid off and it was just a pain...I'd much rather half a child-like twist cap than the pry-off suction kind. And the container is tall instead of squat and round so I'll be able to pour into my container on the scale instead of spooning into the container...sounds much easier in theory anyway! :) Thanks!

I have been getting lye from essential depot for a long time now. I don't a jumping bead problem at all but I do use dryer sheets just in case. The lye dissolves quickly and easily. I like it alot but Rooto works in a pinch too- it's just a little jumpier. :)

Yah, I guess I need to get some dryer sheets now...I never use them for laundry. I'm just soo excited to have an easy to use container coming in the mail - yea!

Back