I Call It "Brie Tallow"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooooooo, I've been soapin'. And I'm focusing on getting the blue square into a particular range on the SoapCalc. I'm sure that blue square has a name, but I dont know what it is. So, I came up with this recipe that some might consider a bit heavy on the butters, but I still wanted to try. I'm so glad I did. This stuff feels like a soft blanket fresh out of the dryer and looks like Brie cheese. I'm OBSESSED with this photo!

Lye Concentration at 33%

Lamb Tallow 60%
Shea Butter 25%
Coco Butter 10%
Coconut Oil 5%

Lauric 5
Myristic 7
Palmitic 19
Stearic 21
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 32
Linoleic 5
Linolenic 0

Attachments

• 20230703_113634.jpg
    20230703_113634.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Sooooooo, I've been soapin'. And I'm focusing on getting the blue square into a particular range on the SoapCalc. I'm sure that blue square has a name, but I dont know what it is. So, I came up with this recipe that some might consider a bit heavy on the butters, but I still wanted to try. I'm so glad I did. This stuff feels like a soft blanket fresh out of the dryer and looks like Brie cheese. I'm OBSESSED with this photo!

Lye Concentration at 33%

Lamb Tallow 60%
Shea Butter 25%
Coco Butter 10%
Coconut Oil 5%

Lauric 5
Myristic 7
Palmitic 19
Stearic 21
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 32
Linoleic 5
Linolenic 0
I love your soap and description is scrumptious! Now must find lamb tallow. High oleic soaps have been my favorites so far with 1.5 years of soaping experience.

Lye Concentration at 33%

Lamb Tallow 60%
Shea Butter 25%
Coco Butter 10%
Coconut Oil 5%

Lauric 5
Myristic 7
Palmitic 19
Stearic 21
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 32
Linoleic 5
Linolenic 0
The soap looks so delicious. The lather must be amazing. Just from the numbers I can surmise that your soap must have a very creamy, and rich lather. You have what I consider a sweet spot of sorts with your butters, and I don't think you have too much at all. I see you have a good balance from them with the coconut oil.

I am curious about how this soap lathers and works. I'd love to see more photos. Great job on this one! =)

The soap looks so delicious. The lather must be amazing. Just from the numbers I can surmise that your soap must have a very creamy, and rich lather. You have what I consider a sweet spot of sorts with your butters, and I don't think you have too much at all. I see you have a good balance from them with the coconut oil.

I am curious about how this soap lathers and works. I'd love to see more photos. Great job on this one! =)
Ok, we're only 2 weeks into cure but here is a hand washing video and a few photos taken 5 mins ago. Not a whole lot of bubbles, but it feels like creamy silk. Thanks for the support. I can't wait for it to finish. 😍

Attachments

• 20230719_054503.jpg
    20230719_054503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_054514.jpg
    20230719_054514.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_054633.jpg
    20230719_054633.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_054948.mp4
    35.9 MB
Ok, we're only 2 weeks into cure but here is a hand washing video and a few photos taken 5 mins ago. Not a whole lot of bubbles, but it feels like creamy silk. Thanks for the support. I can't wait for it to finish. 😍
Amazing. That lather looks similar to mine, except, yours is richer. Mine is like, when I start to do what you did in the video, it'll just bubble a lot. And the lather will almost look like yours. Almost. Its just the bubbles on mine are larger, which I personally don't like.

I can tell if you keep using your soap to stack the lather, it'll have that extremely rich, soft lather than feels good on the hands. I imagine it'll look more like a cream instead of having those large bubbles.

I don't use soap calculators. But when I see your numbers, I can tell also that the unsaponifiables in then butters you used I imagine will make this soap feel conditioning to the skin.

No problem. I look forward to your updates.

Amazing. That lather looks similar to mine, except, yours is richer. Mine is like, when I start to do what you did in the video, it'll just bubble a lot. And the lather will almost look like yours. Almost. Its just the bubbles on mine are larger, which I personally don't like.

I can tell if you keep using your soap to stack the lather, it'll have that extremely rich, soft lather than feels good on the hands. I imagine it'll look more like a cream instead of having those large bubbles.

I don't use soap calculators. But when I see your numbers, I can tell also that the unsaponifiables in then butters you used I imagine will make this soap feel conditioning to the skin.

No problem. I look forward to your updates.
I think the lamb tallow gives it that extra creaminess. I've batched with beef tallow, a beef lamb mix, and I just made a test batch with goat tallow. Imo all tallow is amazing, but the lamb just gives it something more luxurious.

I'm curious about your choice to not use soap calculators. How do you decide your quantities of oils and fats?

I think the lamb tallow gives it that extra creaminess. I've batched with beef tallow, a beef lamb mix, and I just made a test batch with goat tallow. Imo all tallow is amazing, but the lamb just gives it something more luxurious.

I'm curious about your choice to not use soap calculators. How do you decide your quantities of oils and fats?
Interesting. I might have to try one of your soaps one day if you are selling them.

I used to use them at the beginning. But I couldn't help but feel that the numbers were off. At the time I started soaping, I had no time for it. So, to save time, I punched it in the calculator. Have since stopped because I wanted more control into what oils I wanted, and how much.

I honestly don't know what values they used to program such a calculator, but I prefer to use my calculations over it because I try to be as accurate as possible. I studied saponofication in university, so, I did a lot of the calculating myself anyways so when I felt confident in my first recipe, I do my calculations first, then punch it in just to check. Idk.. I prefer just having more control in my soap recipes.

I do not wish to speak badly of soap calculators. They really helped and saved time in a pinch. At the beginning I did use them to check my work and things like that. They are awesome tools. =)

I do not wish to speak badly of soap calculators. They really helped and saved time in a pinch. At the beginning I did use them to check my work and things like that. They are awesome tools. =)
What?!?! I had no idea soap making was taught in university. That's so cool! So, you really understand the math behind it to begin with. That makes sense.

If you want a bar of this Brie Tallow, they're available for pre-order on Etsy. Just pop my username into the search bar and it should pull up. Honestly though, I'd rather just trade with you soap for soap. Message me if you wanna and we'll figure it out. 😁

Latest posts

Back