How well should it hold up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapBee

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have decided to get back into soap making after taking a few years off. For the most part I consistently used the same oils. Very recently I visited a family member and to my surprise, there was a bar of my soap in the shower from years ago. There wasn't an unpleasant odor, just a little browning around the edges.

I guess my question is, are handmade soaps supposed to last forever? What is reasonable? What oils do you avoid to prevent your soap from going rancid?

Thanks for your input!

Apparently Rosemary Extract/Oleoresin and Vit E can retard rancidity.

With some of my batches I have found that keeping the soap ventilated and away from light has kept them in good condition even after 2 years.

I think that it's reasonable to expect a soap to last for 12 months. Handmade soap consists of a lot of natural goodness which shouldn't be expected to last forever. Oil in your cupboard for cooking has a shelf life of about 12 months so as soap is composed of oils I reckon it should be about the same.

Sorry this is totally off topic but fionab, your soaps are gorgeous!!! Love, love, love them! The supernova one is really unique and I love the honeycomb effect on the honey oatmeal soap. Very creative!

I think 1-2yrs shelf life is pretty standard, and I would expect most quality handmade soap to last even longer. I have bars here that are 3+yrs old and still look/smell great.

here's my 2 cents. When I first started making soap I stirred by hand. Those soaps will last forever, like 8 yrs or more. With a good recipe good ingredients and no DOS. If you are using a stick blender the life span will be less. They will still be good soap...but you will be able to make an income from it. :)

Why would the method of stirring change the life expectancy of a soap?

Also, from prior threads, the most experienced soapers here think shelf life should be much longer than 12 months.

Rancidity- DOS, off smells

I'd be very interested in hearing the reason behind that, too. I've never heard anyone say that the stirring method affected the longevity of the soap before.

Sounds like an experiment in the making. Mix up a batch, divide in half, stick blend and mold; other half stir until trace and mold. Cure them side-by-side carving some identifier in it. Store side-by-side. Blind test bars (your friends are gonna love this one) and get feedback. Do this several months apart and go out to 2 years...................

Long experiment. Ongoing updates. Would be interesting.

Who wants to sign up?

TessV said:
I'd be very interested in hearing the reason behind that, too. I've never heard anyone say that the stirring method affected the longevity of the soap before.

Sorry guys I don't know 'why' it was just a personal observation. I stirred by hand for years and a couple of those soaps made in 2001 are still around.

Latest posts

Back