how to make creamy looking soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDillinger

Reaction score
my CP soaps look semi-translucent.

how do you go about achieving a creamy opaqueness? would using milk instead of water make it look richer?

Titanium dioxide is a nice way to get a uniform color. When I first started making cp and hp I could see the swirly-ness of the saponified oils, is that what you see in your cured soaps?

dandelion said:
Titanium dioxide is a nice way to get a uniform color. When I first started making cp and hp I could see the swirly-ness of the saponified oils, is that what you see in your cured soaps?

Now that is interesting! I find quite the opposite. Whenever I use titanium dioxide, I get a either a "swirly-ness" or a speckled effect in the finished bar of soap and often it appears chalky. I've been using the oil based TD and I usually mix it in with a small amt of reserved oil and then add it to the entire oil batch prior to adding my lye water and give it a blast with the SB. Maybe I am going about it all wrong.

how to make creamy looking soap.

Gelled CP soap often has a semi translucent look to it. If you want that creamy look, you can inhibit the gel by placing your molds in the fridge or better yet, in the freezer for a few hours and then in the fridge for about 12 hours. You will have to wait a day or more before unmolding as the soap takes longer to firm up when made this way. After the cure you really cannot tell which soap was gelled and which was not...except that ungelled ones are more opaque or creamy looking.

I've only had one recipe that did that and it was so odd. I did like the result, as it looked interesting. I try to soap on the cool side but I don't recall what I did differently that time, as the soap became more translucent over time. Normally my soaps are very creamy-looking.

When I started soap making, I made CP and they always came with a matte finish. When I switched to HP I get the semi translucent look all the time unless td or milk is used.

dagmar88 said:
I haven't had or seen one batch of CP coming out translucent.

I have. Well not really translucent, but has that quality about it.

Cut back on the liquid oils like soy, safflower, canola.

Opaque - lard, tallow, coconut, olive

carebear said:
dagmar88 said:
I haven't had or seen one batch of CP coming out translucent.

I have. Well not really translucent, but has that quality about it.

Cut back on the liquid oils like soy, safflower, canola.

Opaque - lard, tallow, coconut, olive

yup, good idea

Even just 50-50 olive and lard or tallow makes a nice, opaque, creamy bar. But if you can get shea butter or some of the lovely butters, that might take the cake. Don't cover too heavily (or at all) if you want to avoid translucency...

Oooo, great post idea! I've been playing around on soapcalc wondering how to make mine even creamier :) I think I might try some cocoa butter in my next batch or so . . .

My first batch of GM soap ended up SUPER creamy! The whole family says they have "baby butt" skin ;)

Back