How to keep soap from gel stage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctay122

Reaction score
I bought some Apricot Freesia FO from Brambleberry and the usage chart says to work at low temperatures and do not let the soap gel as the heat will make it morph. What is the best way to avoid the gel stage? I have never put my soap into the freezer or refrigerator (afraid that any heat will mess up the temperature of the unit and wondering if the smell of the soap will ruin everything in it). What is the lowest temp I can soap at and if I keep it uncovered after I pour it (I soap in a wooden mold with a lid) I be able to avoid a gel? Thanks for your help.

It may be harder to avoid gel in a wooden mold as I understand that they insulate and will keep the heat in. If you don't refrigerate or freeze I think you are at best risking partial gel... maybe not! I think you can soap at room temp and keep your lye water cool but there is obviously still going to be some heat happening, that is the nature of the reaction!

I will add that I have kept soap both in the freezer and the refrigerator - I have never had a smell stay behind after removing the soap from either one, and the heat has never affected them in a negative way.

I love apricot freesia :D good luck!

Thank you both for the info. I never thought about chilling the wood mold but what a great idea. I was afraid to put the mold in the refrig because of any heat raising the inside temp of the fridge, but I think I will try both and see what happens.

ctay-
I've had soap partially gel in the freezer. In my experience, if you discount water (2 x lye), and soap around 90 degrees, it won't gel. Gel is more likely to occur with full water.

How long do you keep soap in the fridge/freezer to prevent gel? I'm just trying my first GM today. Thanks!

I feel kind of lucky now, because I use a wooden log mold and I normally just place it over a vent, turn the air down and put a fan on it, and I very rarely ever have a problem with partial gel when I'm trying to avoid it. (knocking on wood) :D

bombus said:
ctay-
I've had soap partially gel in the freezer. In my experience, if you discount water (2 x lye), and soap around 90 degrees, it won't gel. Gel is more likely to occur with full water.

I totally agree with you. Less water, less likely to gel. I've tried 28% lye concentration and it gel. You can try 32% or 33% provided if your recipe permits :)

Latest posts

Back