How to infuse oils with properties from dried herbs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
I want to learn how to infuse oils with the properties of dried herbs- without degrading the beneficial properties in oils themselves. Can anyone point me to a good book or website to educate myself on this topic?

Thanks!

Is there something you are looking for specifically? Directions or instructions?

The soap making resource site has instructions for cold or warm infusions, and some example of the resultin colors in CP soap.

Is there something you are looking for specifically? Directions or instructions?

I'm trying to find how best to do it without degrading the benefits inherent to the oils, but still get a maximum concentration of the beneficial properties from the herbs.

Finding the smoke point of an oil or butter is pretty easy, but if imagine that they start to break down long before they reach that temp.

If you have the time, cold infusions because they do take longer. A quicker way is to gently heat the oil and herbs...quicker, but you may not get all the properties out of the herbs.

My preference for myself is to put the herbs in the oil and gently heat in a water bath to 100* and hold it there about 45 minutes or so, then pull from the heat and continue to steep for several months. I use these oils straight on the skin or in balms and soaps that I make.

If you have the time, cold infusions because they do take longer. A quicker way is to gently heat the oil and herbs...quicker, but you may not get all the properties out of the herbs.

My preference for myself is to put the herbs in the oil and gently heat in a water bath to 100* and hold it there about 45 minutes or so, then pull from the heat and continue to steep for several months. I use these oils straight on the skin or in balms and soaps that I make.

Thank you very much!

Latest posts

Back