How to handle fragrance oil discoloration in cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There a so many fragrance oils I skip over because of discoloration. Some I would love to use but won't because of discoloration. I need ideas how to incorporate fragrance oil discoloration into my soap projects.

Following -
I just bought some activated charcoal to use a FO that discolors dark dark brown.

Most of the time I can use titanium dioxide for slight discoloration.

Once I embraced a warm brown discoloration and pulled some pre-fragrance oil batter aside (that I added titanium dioxide to) to create a white accent swirl.

There a so many fragrance oils I skip over because of discoloration. Some I would love to use but won't because of discoloration. I need ideas how to incorporate fragrance oil discoloration into my soap projects.
What soap projects or designs are you working on @Velocipede? Can you share pics? They may help us think of ways you can use discoloration in designs. Besides that, we just like to look at soap pics. 😁

That said, I confess I am in the process of going through all my fragrance oils and re-evaluating them based on discoloration, sticking power, IFRA rate, and allergens. A major destash is in my future!

I embrace the brown in Dragon’s Blood with red for the main color with veins of Enviro Glitter Gold from Nurture. I have a dragon stamp that I dip in gold mica to finish each bar. The red mica is overpowered by the vanilla during the cure, and bars turns a beautiful shade of deep cherry brown with magical gold sparkle.

I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s on my list to use sandalwood in a woodgrain pour. Any FOs with a woodsy fragrance that stays fluid for a pour would work.

Years ago I made Chocolate Vanilla Swirl bars. The recipe used fragrant cocoa butter. The discoloring FO went into the dark brown “chocolate” colored swirl, which I colored with unsweetened chocolate. The white “vanilla” swirl was actually UN-scented and lightened with a little titanium dioxide. I had to put a caution label on the bars that they were NOT for eating. (true!)

You probably want to limit the number of FOs that discolor, but if there are a couple you love, let them inspire your designs.

Now let’s see some pictures! Please?

Last edited:
Agree with the others. Pass it over. Or use it as part of the design. Not every portion of batter. In your design has to have FO in it. An uncolored ITPS, one half with FO, other without. Would morph to brown and white swirl.

Back