How much to superfat? - need suggestions please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
Hello! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm excited to try out a new recipe, and I've decided to experiment with the super-fat content by setting it at 10%. However, I'm unsure if this percentage is adequate or if I should consider increasing it for better results. I understand that this may not be a well-balanced recipe, but I'm eager to give it a try. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• cold pressed - soy_page-0001.jpg
    cold pressed - soy_page-0001.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 0
That is a very drying recipe. 10% super fat may not help as the conditioning value is kinda low too. If you are not wanting something drying I would increase conditioning properties and decrease cleansing value. You can try it at 10% super fat and see.

It's great that you are experimenting. :) But please reconsider before you potentially waste 1000g of oils on a soap that is likely to be very soft, to melt away so quickly, and to be extremely drying to the skin. A 10% superfat would also leave a lot of soap scum in your sink and pipes. Please consider something more balanced, like:

30% OO (or 20% OO and 10% sesame)
20% CO
20% Mowrah butter
15% Soy wax
10% Neem
5% castor

By creating a more conditioning recipe like this, you could cut your superfat down to 3% and still have a non-drying soap.

To create more bubbles, dissolve 1% sugar in your distilled water before adding the NaOH. This extra bubbliness won't show on the soap calculator, but it will be there when you actually use the soap.

Latest posts

Back