How much lye/water is too little?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
Hey Ladies and Gents,

So I just made a small batch of salt soap in a Christmas mold. I was explaining to my Mother as I was making it so I was a little distracted. Earlier in the day, I had prepared my lye/water mixture for two separate batches. I was supposed to pour in 6.5 ounces of lye/water for this batch. I brain farted and only added 1.6 ounces which was the amount of lye for this batch. I was only looking at the lye amount and failed to add the water amount to get my 6.5 total.

I didn't realize what I had done until I was whipping up the second batch. Oddly enough the first batch acted normally, traced and seems to be hardening in the small molds. What do think I can expect? I am curious. I am glad it was a small batch and I can make it up pretty easily. I am sad though about the essential oils, they smelled so beautiful! Hopefully the soap can be used at least by me so the EO blend can be enjoyed!

Thanks!

So what was your original lye/water ratio for the solution you only used 1.6 oz of?

I'm thinking your gonna have a VERY high "superfat" ... It certainly won't be lye heavy! :wink:

Alchemy&Ashes said:
So what was your original lye/water ratio for the solution you only used 1.6 oz of?

I'm thinking your gonna have a VERY high "superfat" ... It certainly won't be lye heavy! :wink:

It certainly will not be lye heavy! That is some positive thinking :D

Latest posts

Back