How important is temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES it does matter.

If they are close to the same temp, fine. If lye is hot and oils are room temperature, also fine.

If oils are too hot/significantly hotter than lye - VOLCANO!!!

One day, I decided to premix a couple 2-lb batches of oils and premix a couple batches of lye water to go with them because it turns out the measuring is my least favorite part of the soaping. When I soaped one of those premixed batches, the oils and the lye water were both at room temp so I knew, without use of the thermometers, they were the same temperature. I've never temped anything since.

But those digital thermometers make great swirling sticks!

One day, I decided to premix a couple 2-lb batches of oils and premix a couple batches of lye water to go with them because it turns out the measuring is my least favorite part of the soaping. When I soaped one of those premixed batches, the oils and the lye water were both at room temp so I knew, without use of the thermometers, they were the same temperature. I've never temped anything since.

But those digital thermometers make great swirling sticks!

What about coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature? If I melt it and mix with my other oils prior and it starts to solidify, would it be okay to mix in the lye? The lye will heat up and melt it right?

I have found that my coconut once melted and the other oils/butters added doesn't solidify. However if it's a bit cold in the house it does get cloudy so I just give it a quick 30-60 seconds in the microwave then add my lye solution.

I have found that my coconut once melted and the other oils/butters added doesn't solidify. However if it's a bit cold in the house it does get cloudy so I just give it a quick 30-60 seconds in the microwave then add my lye solution.

Yep, that's exactly what I do, too!

I always use a thermometer, b/c I think I am too impatient. I always convince myself that it's "fine" but then I take teh temperature and it's 140 F, so not fine! That being said, I don't fret about it a lot. I mix the lye and the water, then I set the oils on to melt. I take the temp of the oils and when they are right, THEN I start checking the lye. Usually by the time the oils are at 100, the lye temp is about room temp.

Temps

I'm new to this but I found that if I mix my lye solution with the container in the sink with ice cubes, the lye comes down in temp close enough to the oils. I always mix the lye first and by the time the oils are melted, I'm good to go. I've done several batches and have them curing. Everyone here is right about one thing - this is definitely addicting. I try to make at least two batches of soap every weekend. More if possible. I'm loving this and thank you everyone for all the information and kindness!

Back