How important is distilled water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mockingbird Ramble

Reaction score
The basic recipe I started with said distilled water only, but I being thrifty ignored that tidbit.

Should I really be using distilled?

It prevents impurities and/or minerals from causing a bad reaction with your lye. I can't say for sure since I've always used distilled.

hi mockingbird ramble.... if you scroll to the very bottom of this p[age you will find other post on the subject. distilled water is important in that it has no minerals and impurities which can add hindering qualities to the soap making process.
i also included few links leading to the subject to help better clarify the importance and reasons why distilled water is better.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art61719.asp
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/distilled-water.html

hope it helps

I've been making soap for about 15 years and I've never used distilled water. I use tap water and have never had a single problem.

Granted, the tap water in NYC has been called the "champagne of municipal tap waters" because of its quality. For whatever that's worth.

I use distilled water myself. I don't trust the water in this area to drink or make soap with, but then again, I am picky! :)

I've been making soap for about 15 years and I've never used distilled water. I use tap water and have never had a single problem.

Granted, the tap water in NYC has been called the "champagne of municipal tap waters" because of its quality. For whatever that's worth.

Yeah, you have to have good tap water to do that. We have a LOT of calcium, minerals, and other impurities in our tap water. Perfectly safe to drink, but hell on trying to make soap with.
We do however have a double filtered reverse osmosis treatment machine that we make all of our coffee and juices with and for me, soap with. It filters out all of the impurities from the water, so I'm able to use it.

Rainwater? What's that? It's been so long since we had rain here on the plains that I have forgotten what it is. We have very hard water that is ran through a salt type water softener, then through a double filter reverse osmosis for our drinking water, coffee, tea, soap... No problems

Rain water! Always put out some buckets when you see the dark clouds overhead!

Rain?? What is this thing you speak of? It sounds so glorious!! LOL

Our state is a dried up shriveled prune compared to what it used to be. It does still rain here, but not nearly very often and not for very long when it does. No way would I be able to get enough for soaping I don't think. Not anymore anyway.

Rainwater? What's that? It's been so long since we had rain here on the plains that I have forgotten what it is. We have very hard water that is ran through a salt type water softener, then through a double filter reverse osmosis for our drinking water, coffee, tea, soap... No problems

OMGosh it's like we live in the same place and use the same water. That's exactly what I d with the water softener, and also it hardly rains here anymore at all either.

I think using distilled water is about keeping your variables to a minimum. Distilled water will most definitely not create a reaction in your soap whereas the contents in some tap water can. If something goes wrong, the water you used is one of the many possible things that might have caused it.

Granted, the tap water in NYC has been called the "champagne of municipal tap waters" because of its quality. For whatever that's worth.[/QUOTE]

ParkSoap by any chance do you belong to Brooklyn CP Soapmakers or you are in the city itself ? // Park as in Park Ave ?

Back