How do I seran and towel-wrap soap curing in molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
It's easy enough, putting a towel or seran around a loaf mold. But what about mini loaf molds or individual molds as shown below? Won't the seran wrap cling to the bottom of the soap as it cures?

20150304_204630.jpg

20150304_204636.jpg

I found that a pizza box fits over my individual mold perfectly. I don't use plastic wrap on my soaps, so I just invert some sort of box or another mold over my soap, then lay the towel over that.

The soap does not cure in the mold, it simply hardens.

The Saran Wrap will sit on the soap and if it is wrinkled your soap will be too, however when the soap hardens the Saran Wrap can be easily removed. Just don't try to take it off when the soap is still soft!

Also, bear in mind that curing is generally more for the time after it is cut - when I read the title I thought that you wanted to cure soap wrapped up, which wouldn't work well at all.

As Susie said, you can put something over to protect or. Or maybe CPOP?

I completely missed that in the middle of the night, sorry. Cure takes place after it is unmolded.

Trace is the beginning of saponification.

Saponification takes 24-48 hours, and does not determine if the soap is ready to unmold or not.

You figure out if you can unmold by pressing gently on a corner to see if it dents. If it doesn't dent to LIGHT pressure, you can unmold and cut(or just unmold in the case of individual molds).

Cure starts after unmolding.

All soap that is not MP requires 4-6 weeks minimum cure.

You know what? Pizza box sounds like a great idea. I will try that.

Back