How do I get this effect?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizzy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I came across this beautiful soap while browsing the internet. I love the effect. It almost looks like snow. Can someone tell me how I could go about getting this effect? Thanks :)

www.pinterest.com.jpg

I've seen soaps like this too & I think they're beautiful. Looking at the texture, I think ground soap shreds were used but I could be wrong.

Hmm, I wonder if you coated the salt crystals in a shimmering mica, would you get a sparkling dappled effect? Looks like something I'd like to experiment with.

Thank you for the replies. I will try the salt and see if it works for me. As far as the tree goes, do you think that is just painted on mica? It almost looks like it is slightly carved into the soap, does it not?

Again, here is the link that explains exactly how she made this soap https://www.pinterest.com/chickenp/soap-challenge-club-february-2016/

She used two techniques by Auntie Clara - high water and low water to get subtle variations in her base, and salt to get the halo effect of the snow. She used charcoal for a pencil line. She says she 'added the charcoal tree', so I believe she painted the tree on with a charcoal/oil mix. I think it just looks carved.

I agree, it looks like a stamp that might have been dipped with mica before stamping to transfer the color. The soap is really beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us!

I'm pretty sure it's not a stamp. I think the reason it looks like it has a depression, like a stamp would, is because of different shades of the charcoal that was painted on - heavier in some spots and lighter in others. Working on something that small (slender), it could be hard to have a perfectly even application.

I'm pretty sure it's not a stamp. I think the reason it looks like it has a depression, like a stamp would, is because of different shades of the charcoal that was painted on - heavier in some spots and lighter in others. Working on something that small (slender), it could be hard to have a perfectly even application.
My turn! If not a stamp, I think it is carved in, which would be pretty easy to do, and then, painted in with mica or something.

Latest posts

Back