How can I use this coffee?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
I bought some coffee the other day but when it was delivered it wasn't instant coffee it was the type of coffee you use in a machine. The fine powder type coffee.

I don't have a coffee machine so this is pretty useless to me but ....

Can I use it in some soaps maybe? If so how? Just for colour? Will it have the good properties of coffee for skin? Infuse it in oil??

Ideas on what I can use these two big bags of redundant coffee would be cool please xx

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

Don't see why you couldn't boil it and strain, then save a bit of the grinds. Use it for the liquid in your soap. (I always freeze it in cubes first.) To make a scrubbie soap, I use 1/4 cup used grinds to 2 pounds of oil. I've recently made 2 batches, one with espresso grinds and one with coarser. The espresso is very gentle. The coarser grind is more like a gardener's soap.

I would boil about 60 g coffee per 250 ml of water(for double strength coffee). If you don't want to have to strain the coffee, you can use a coffee filter or paper towel to hold the coffee.(twisted and secured at the top) Just be very gentle when handling it.

Oh great! Glad I now have a use if this coffee. Plus more idea of cute soap

You can also make a cold water extraction which is great to keep in the fridge. You basically use the concentrate like you would instant coffee by adding the amount of water to your taste. Toddy makes a complete system under $40 but it can easily be improvised by putting 12 oz of coffee to approx 7 cups of water in a pitcher. Do not shake just make sure all the grounds are wet, then let sit for approx 18 hours, I usually let mine sit 24. I improvise straining it with a nut bag similar to this. http://www.eatingvibrantly.com/make-no-sew-nut-milk-bag/ Makes great coffee. Years ago I had a Toddy system now I use a big 1.5 quart mason jar.

You can also use it to make coffee butter.

+1

i just did this the other day. infused some coconut oil in coffee. added some lipidthix. if you don't have lipidthix, you can also add some shea or cocoa butter to bring it into a harder consistency. whip it good.

You can make an infusion to use in soap. I grind the beans and add to olive oil and let it infuse for a few weeks. I've added the grounds and oil to soap, and I've also strained the grounds out after infusion. That way you have a scrubby and a non-scrubby version :)
I've also used ground coffee to make a sugar scrub. So many possibilities :)

Do you think if I infuse some in oil it will retain some of it's coffee smell!??

You can always go to Target or Wal-Mart and get a French Press.
They are usually in where the coffee makers are.
If for some reason they are not there, check the camping section.
French Press coffee.. yum!
It might even be good for marketing... "French Pressed coffee soap" :thumbup:

I'm in the uk, we don't ave Walmart here and iv never heard of a French press lol

You don't need to brew the coffee to use it. You can add the dry grounds to your soap for a scrubby bar.

Don't think this coffee would scrub, it's quite fine and soft, almost powder.

Don't think this coffee would scrub, it's quite fine and soft, almost powder.

If it's too fine to make it a scrubby bar, then the French press (cafetiere) would probably work well. You would replace the water with the coffee. This would make a WONDERFUL morning "wake up" bar.
Just don't use it at night or you may not be able to fall asleep LOL (Caffeine is absorbed through the skin)

I think I'm going to have to get some coffee FO and make a morning coffee soap!!

Last edited:
Back