Hot process or cold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
I've done quite a few cold process soaps, but never any hot. So I thought I'd do a 1000gram batch and split it into two equal halves, same colours and fragrance, one cold half, and one in my slow cooker - hot.

The cold process went well, I added dried seaweed and poured into mould. The hot process took a lot longer than I'd seen on videos !!! I waited for the different stages, even tasted the batter - zap!! So I turned the crock up to high and it finally cooked. Unfortunatly too much, I think, as I had to plaster the stuff into the mould

Here is a photo showing the two soaps, the smaller lumpy one obviously the Hot process soap. Not sure I'm a fan, I think a crock with more settings would be useful , I'm hoping the EOs will stick in the hot process soap.

Any help or hints for a nice smooth HP would be appreciated :lol:

image.jpg

*use lots of water, 3:1 (water:lye)
*1 tsp sodium lactate ppo, this stuff will def make the batter more liquid, thus easier to work with
*cook the soap on warm or low. it is better to have a longer cook with lower heat, rather than quick with high heat

not a fan of the rustic look myself..

When you put it in the mold, put plastic wrap over the soap and squish the plastic wrap with your hands to smooth it out. Also scoop small amounts at a time and make sure there are no air bubbles when you're filling the mold.

Thanks both. I think I rushed it and too much liquid evaporated off, I'll have another go, using your info, thanks.

*use lots of water, 3:1 (water:lye)
*1 tsp sodium lactate ppo, this stuff will def make the batter more liquid, thus easier to work with
*cook the soap on warm or low. it is better to have a longer cook with lower heat, rather than quick with high heat

not a fan of the rustic look myself..

This is the method that I use. I also bang the mold repeatedly on the counter when I put the hot soap into it. This helps get rid of the bubbles and helps the thick soap settle into the mold.

Yep- as the others have said- don't skimp on the water. I usually use somewhere between a 25% - 28% lye concentration when I HP.

Ditto on the use of sodium lactate, too. What a wonderful difference it makes! I use it at a rate 3% ppo.

Sugar helps with fluidity in HP, too, and so I use that as well as the sodium lactate (2 tbsp. ppo sugar). That might seem like overkill, but HP is not my favorite method of soaping, you see (I only do it if I absolutely have to), and so I use every known soaping weapon in my arsenal to make it as much like CP as I can! LOL

I don't have a designated soaping crockpot since I rarely HP, so I make mine in the oven in a big stainless soup pot with the oven set at 170F/76.6C.

In any case, the higher water content, the sodium lactate and sugar all help to make my batter fairly smooth and actually pourable (as opposed to glop-able). Although not as smooth and pourable as CP, mind you, it's no where near the thick, dry, lumpy mashed potato consistency I used to get before I started using my triple threat combo (i.e. the higher water, sodium lactate and sugar).

IrishLass :)

I love HP and am a fan of the rustic look :)

I've found if I leave the crock pot on high it will blow over quickly
A 2lb batch can take an hour to cook on low

I am a hot process girl. I love the depth within the soap when its finished, like a piece of crystal.

Some call it rustic, but I like the look of hot process.

Most all of my batches are 100 ounces of oils and I cook on low. Usually the cook is done in 90 minutes, but sometimes sooner.

I love sodium lactate and it gives me a more fluid batter to mold. I use it in all of my recipes at 2%.

Latest posts

Back