Hops in soap ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardguy

Reaction score
I have a bunch of pellet hops (they look like rabbit feed) from homebrewing in the freezer and I thought about using them in soap. I'm not looking for any aroma from them, only mild exfoliation and maybe a touch of colour. Aroma would be taken care of with a blend of grapefruit and pine EO (a lot of IPA and such have that aroma).

Anybody have any experience with using them in soap ? Would cp soap make them turn brown ? Would I be better trying them in hp soap ?

I would pulverize them in a mortar and pestle before use obviously.

I bet they would turn brown. You could always test it. Put some in water, wait until they come apart and you basically have a tea then add a little lye, see if the color changes.

I recently had the same thought beardguy! I make beer soap for a friend who owns a microbrewery & was thinking to add ground hops as a gentle exfoliant. Hopefully someone will come along that has tried it and will share their results.

I never did get the hops from my son, so I still haven't tried to use it in soap. Kids! He just moved, and since it's winter here I don't think he would have dug any of the plants to take to the new house. He did say he just didn't like the beer he made because the hops were young and hoped that as the plants aged it would improve. So maybe he'll grow them again.

Latest posts

Back