Honey soap got too hot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaJBunny

Reaction score
I made some honey oatmeal soap with almond milk the other day, following a recipe on soap-making-resource.com. I am thinking that part of it just got too hot. I read that this can easily happen with the honey. This was my first batch of CP, and I have done HP before. So, here's why I am thinking this... I have silicone molds. Some of them do individual bars and some are mini loaves. The individual bars look great so far. But the ones from the loaf mold have a small hole all through the middle. And when I went to cut them into bars, pure liquid came out from the middle area. This was 2 days after I made it. Do you think this was because it couldn't cool as quickly in the loaf molds? Or something else? Also, I'm wondering if this soap can still be used after curing time, is it just a cosmetic flaw?

Exactely the same things happened to me too when I made a honey soap. I don't know what the liquid was that came out but it was still good soap.

Depending on color, the liquid is honey. I did the same awhile back. I rebatched all of it except one bar from the batch because this one didn't have any holes. It took a long time for it to fully cure.

Honey is very tricky to work with. It it soooo easy to add too much and blow your recipe apart. I keep my honey to 1 tsp PPO. I know that doesn't sound like much at all - but it does add smoothness to the bars, even at that small amount.

When I use honey, I chill my wood mold, even though I'm going to gel the batch. Seems to help. Plus I do a lot of peeking under the blankets to give it some air while it's gelling.

Latest posts

Back