Homemade soap better than Dawn

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Funny thing happened the other day. BIL was hand washing some very greasy pans and dishes and he was using the Dawn. Well, he ran out of it and start using the spray degreaser then my homemade soap. I walked into the kitchen to the words " your soap is working way better than the Dawn for removing the grease from the dishrag". He even showed me how bad the rag was then what the soap was doing in cleaning it up.

Now he already loves my soap for the shower but now he only wants to use it for hand dish washing too. :) I need to make more soap as we are running out since he moved here. LOL Guess we will not be buying Dawn anymore either. :lol:

This is my 3 oil soap with Coconut Milk. No OO in it but it is higher in CO than most of what people make, it also contains lard. I use a 6% superfat. I was surprised it worked that well on the grease. It is non drying for us here and we have really hard water. I have very oily skin so the CO is 40%.

How do use bar soap as dish soap? Do you grate it up, just rub it on the dishcloth? I want to make my own dish soap, still researching though. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KattOBRN

I've been using a lard bar as dishsoap- I stuck a bar in a pint canning jar and poured water over it- it would soften and then I could pour off the soapy water to use. I've had a bar inthere for probably about a month.
I keep revelling in the irony that I'm washing fat off my dishes with ..... fat. :cool:

Sweethavenarts, do you leave water in the jar all the time or just when you need it? Do you let the bar dry in in between ?

KattOBRN

Well, what BIL did was just rub soap on dishcloth since he was hand washing. I find it better also no waste of the dish soap that way, unlike pouring it in the water. Ofcourse I rarly hand wash these days as I have a dishwasher. But big stuff and some cooking tools do get hand washed since they must be.

Latest posts

Back