Hmm, never had a soap fail because it's too cold before.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left the lye and oils in my dining room for a couple days. It's the farthest part of the house from both the ac and the heater. When I walked into the kitchen, some of the oil had solidified on the bottom. Never seen that before. And I do mean ever. Usually when I mix the lye and the oils, it heats up. This time I ended up with a false trace because of it and oils on top of the poured soap after an hour or so of sitting in the mold. Nothing but the temperature was different so I can assume it's because of the cold. What a very weird thing to happen, usually the problem in Louisiana is that its too hot and humid.

Louisiana is a killer for the heat and humidity for sure. I rarely prep a batch and then don't get to it for that amount of time, but I don't sell and just make soap when I have the time to do it all. But I have on occasion had to do this. If my oils have solidified at all, I definitely heat them up until melted. I soap cool, and in my chilly basement, but I usually try to have my combined temp at 85-95. I think you are right about false trace, and now you will know if that ever happens again. I hate rebatching and don't have much experience in that regard, but if that didn't fix the texture problem you might let it sit and see what happens. It could be a lost cause.

Louisiana is a killer for the heat and humidity for sure. I rarely prep a batch and then don't get to it for that amount of time, but I don't sell and just make soap when I have the time to do it all. But I have on occasion had to do this. If my oils have solidified at all, I definitely heat them up until melted. I soap cool, and in my chilly basement, but I usually try to have my combined temp at 85-95. I think you are right about false trace, and now you will know if that ever happens again. I hate rebatching and don't have much experience in that regard, but if that didn't fix the texture problem you might let it sit and see what happens. It could be a lost cause.
Yeah, I tried the rebatch. Totally lost cause. It will work fine for me but not for selling. Which just sucks because it's such a pretty scent. Honeydew and Coconut from Midwest Fragrance.

That sounds nice, Melissa, does the FO stick in CP? ETA: Do you know of any other FOs that stick well from MWF? I am going to order a bottle of the Rose Bouquet, which is a gorgeous scent which does stick well. I hate just buying one bottle though, it always seems like a waste of postage.

Last edited:
Almost everything I've tried is wonderful. Cosmic berry was just too much. Too strong, too berry, too overwhelming. But you may like it. They are my favorite company. My customers LOVED iced almond cookies for Christmas.

That sounds nice, Melissa, does the FO stick in CP? ETA: Do you know of any other FOs that stick well from MWF? I am going to order a bottle of the Rose Bouquet, which is a gorgeous scent which does stick well. I hate just buying one bottle though, it always seems like a waste of postage.
Thank you for this recommendation, which I’ve read on another thread also. Just wondering if you’ve used Fesh Cut Roses from Natures Garden? If yes, how does it compare? Thank you

Hi, I am a firm believer. That ambient temp will affect the batch. My work area. Is in an unheated basement. And have had more than a couple of false traces.

@bookworm, fresh cut roses, is a nice scent. Seems to hold well. This is a regular on my shelf.

It us interesting when you talk about false trace and it causing a problem. The only time false trace really becomes an issue is if you pour to soon, before it does start to heat and thin your batter out. My two main recipes always false trace because they are either high palm or tallow and I soap very cool. Many times my oils are very cloudy although not solidified.

Have you used that fragrance oil before? Makes me wonder if it could be the FO. I am just thinking since Melon fo's and especially Coconut fragrances can be very ornery.

@bookworm, I think I sampled Fresh Cut Roses a long time ago and thought it was a decent rose scent but for me not a standout. If I am remembering correctly (and I am might not be, it was early on), it seemed a bit generic. Also, my preference is for a rose which contains some green notes from the leaves as well as a strong/true/heavy rose note.

As a result, the only rose I ever used after sampling a lot was Sweetcakes True Rose, which was a beautiful scent but an absolute beast in terms of acceleration (as well as being expensive, both for the product and shipping). I just reconciled myself to a one color/no swirl soap. After I found the MWF one I switched. ETA: Just went to look at the Sweet Cakes website, how times have changed! True Rose is no longer available, and their prices are now more or less average because companies like WSP and Brambleberry have increased prices so much.

My FO notes on it are: "Fantastic, v.v. close to SC True Rose. But MUCH cheaper, great speedy delivery and customer service, also much easier to use. Some A, but w/slow oil mix at RT, whisk and no SB, adding FO to colors, etc, can do 3 color divider swirls without a problem. Holding well at six months out."

ETA: @MelissaG, just realized I was totally derailing your thread, sorry, I will stop now.

Last edited:
Back