Henna, Cassia Obovata Experience?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieShephard

Reaction score
I'd love to try to make a henna shampoo bar, but have no idea where to start. I made a coconut milk bar, that I've been using for both my hair and body and I love it...my favorite bar so far and I am very proud of it. I actualy got the idea from a bar that I tried from an online supplier...looked up their ingredients...played with the numbers on soapcalc, and came up with something similar enough that I'm happy with. Well, I need to do it again, since this one is my daughter's favorite. Here are the ingredients, as listed on their website: babassu, sunflower, coconut oil, castor, water, sodium hydroxide, palm, henna, canola, coconut milk, cassia obovata, chamomille, rosemary oil extract.

Anybody have any experience with henna? Or Cassia Obovata? How much would I add ppo? When to add it? Suppliers? Tips, tricks, etc?

I don't mind figiting with the oil numbers on soapcalc...it's the henna and cassia that I'm unfamiliar with.

Just out of curiosity what is your purpose for the Henna? It is not really going to impart any color to the hair unless there is enough henna in the bar. If the hair is colored with henna a henna bar may help with fading and deepen the color a little and keep in mind lye soap fades colored treated hair badly. On the plus side henna is a great conditioner. Sorry I went off on a different tangent and I really do not know the amount you would use other than trying various amount of henna until you get the results you want. I will mention that a purple or nice blue bar can help whiten gray hair that has yellowed. The purple needs to be quite purple.

Just out of curiosity what is your purpose for the Henna? It is not really going to impart any color to the hair unless there is enough henna in the bar. If the hair is colored with henna a henna bar may help with fading and deepen the color a little and keep in mind lye soap fades colored treated hair badly. On the plus side henna is a great conditioner. Sorry I went off on a different tangent and I really do not know the amount you would use other than trying various amount of henna until you get the results you want. I will mention that a purple or nice blue bar can help whiten gray hair that has yellowed. The purple needs to be quite purple.

I'm hoping the henna and cassia will help with body. Like I said, my daughter has been using this bar...and I just ordered her another. But for me to pay over $8 for one bar is a lot for me. So, I'd like to try to make it myself. I actually used some in my hair, for the first time yesterday, and could tell the difference. My hair is very fine and thin, and this gave it a bit of body.

Although, I'm not too keen on whitening my gray hair! :lolno: That does not seem like a desired side effect :shock:

If you don't want color, use cassia. I toss a couple teaspoons into a 3 pound shampoo batch, I don't measure it. The henna could give a red tint so is better for darker hair while cassia is good for no color or blond/grey hair. I add the herbs at trace. Good luck, your recipe sounds really nice!

Although, I'm not too keen on whitening my gray hair! :lolno: That does not seem like a desired side effect :shock:[/QUOTE]
Gray hair can yellow badly when out in the sun a lot. Hence the reason for a whitening rinse or shampoo. I would not use henna on gray, white, bleached hair

If you don't want color, use cassia. I toss a couple teaspoons into a 3 pound shampoo batch, I don't measure it. The henna could give a red tint so is better for darker hair while cassia is good for no color or blond/grey hair. I add the herbs at trace. Good luck, your recipe sounds really nice!

Do you have a supplier you can recommend?

Latest posts

Back