Help with recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrganicGirl

Reaction score
Hello all! I am switching from palm oil and Pko to tallow/lard. I am looking for a good recipe that is super hard but also super conditioning. My kids love to dissolve it in the bath, lol. I have a lot of cocoa butter on hand as well and want to use it up. Does this recipe sound lime it will be hard and. Conditioning :
22 tallow
22 lard
17 olive
13 coconut
4 Shea
4 cocoa butter
4 castor

I will give it a try. Would it be okay to substitute sunflower for the olive if it is cheaper?

I read somewhere that tallow and lard do not give off the exact same qualities and that tallow produces a harder soap than lard but that lard is more conditioning to the skin and still produces a hard bar? Anyone ever made soap with both? Or is that unnecessary? I like olive oil too, but it is pretty expensive. Any other recipe ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sunflower oil isn't going to be the same as olive oil. I've also heard that it's prone to DOS, so that, among other reasons, would make me reluctant to try it at 40%.

Sunflower oil isn't going to be the same as olive oil. I've also heard that it's prone to DOS, so that, among other reasons, would make me reluctant to try it at 40%.

Sunflower oil can be prone to DOS, high oleic sunflower oil (available from many soapmaking suppliers) is what I use for soap.

If you prefer not to use olive, rice bran oil is a close substitute. Your recipe does look very creamy with not a lot of big fluffy bubbles, but I like that in my soap. Give it a try.

Thanks. I do like creamy and bubbly, conditioning and hard soap, and I constantly strive for that even if I am hanging on the edge. I prefer not to use a 25% coconut because anything over 20 dries my skin. Sounds good though, so I am going to keep the Shea and use 20% coconut. I'm ready to make my firt soap
with tallow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back