Help! Shaving soap mystery

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hausfrau007

Reaction score
I made soaping101's shaving soap today (followed the recipe to a T). A few hours after unmolding it, little salt-like grains formed on the surface. Tongue test was fine, so I don't think it's lye. At least I hope it's not.

15% oo
25% co
30% po
10% castor
10% tallow
5% shea
5% cocoa
1 tsp bentonite clay

In one of the pictures, you can see where my tongue touched the grains, lol.

2013-03-03 15.22.08.jpg

2013-03-03 15.21.42.jpg

Someone I know sent me a CP soap with a MP embed and the MP looks like that. I think its just dried condensation.

If it was lye, I'd be zapped pretty badly, wouldn't I have? I just hope I didn't mess up the measurements and it's lye heavy.

If it was lye, you definitely would have felt it. I do think it is simply dried condensation or a smattering of ash, which means its simply a cosmetic issue :)

You know why I'm freaking out about this a bit? I promised a senior executive in my company shaving soap. He's testing it for me so I can roll it out in my lineup. If that **** was lye heavy, I'd kill myself, lol.

(Frau! I missed you!)
Rinse the top and then reevaluate. I've had this happen...I think it's a form of ash. My theory, with mine at least, was some reaction between the alcohol I sprayed on top after molding. Instead of being powdery ash, it was like concentrated crystallized ash...maybe due to temperature or humidity. Either way, its probably safe. On mine, it just rinsed off the top and all was well.

Hey Hausfrau!!! :) *wave* I dont have anything to add to the discussion. I'm sitting here all bummed cause my brother just told me one of my soaps "stung his wee-wee" (lol, sorry). He's just now telling me about it and it happened at Christmas! Gah!! I zap tested that soap and there was no zap - it was that purple ball soap I made around the first of December. Nobody else has told me any soap I have given them has zapped so now I'm wondering if they just haven't said anything, or if it hasn't zapped, or if they'll tell me 2 months down the road or if my brother is just a big baby. Yeah, I'm going with that one. :)

Good to see you Hausfrau - let us know how he likes the shaving soap!

Umm...errr...maybe your brother just has a sensitive "wee wee"? If he got some in his urethra, it would burn, sensitive or not. Many women can't use soap on their naughty bits/nether regions/hoo-has/cha-chas because the alkalinity messes with the natural pH of said nether region. My point is, your soap probably is NOT zapping his "wee wee". And if it is, he should thank you. Some people pay good money for that. :Kitten Love:

Lol - good one, Shawnee! That's what I'll tell him! So funny!! He did say that all soap stings his precious wee-wee but he said this sting seemed to last a little longer than "store-bought." Okay, seriously, still laughing at the pay good money thing. :)

If all soap is stinging he is either doing something very wrong or needs to see a doctor...

Umm...errr...maybe your brother just has a sensitive "wee wee"? If he got some in his urethra, it would burn, sensitive or not. Many women can't use soap on their naughty bits/nether regions/hoo-has/cha-chas because the alkalinity messes with the natural pH of said nether region. My point is, your soap probably is NOT zapping his "wee wee". And if it is, he should thank you. Some people pay good money for that. :Kitten Love:

I seriously was just crying laughing!!! I have to catch my breath now!

Good to have H back :smile:

Back