Help! My soap is soup!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WomanInTheWoods

Reaction score
Last night I was feelin' good~ in that happy soaping place, ready to make some awesome peppermint soap. I was using a recipe I've used before. I didn't use a water discount because I am very new to swirling and wanted plenty of time to get everything just right. I also hadn't used this fo before & figured I definitely would play it safe. Hindsight, I probably should have discounted. I used Bramble Berry's Red Velvet LabColor, which is diluted with water, so that's probably where things went wrong~ I really should have discounted to account for the water in the LabColor.

Everything went incredibly well; I soaped at room temp, brought the batch to emulsification/very light trace, separated out some into the red labcolor, then added some into the TD/oil mix (maybe about a tbsp of oil). I blended that with a spoon, then sb'd a bit, then added it back to the pot and sb'd until light trace. I then filled my 2 tubes about 3/4 full, rinsed/dried my sb, and went to the red. I brought that to light trace, maybe a smidge more, then, using a baster, I put strips/columns of red around the edges of the tubes. I added the rest of the red to the white base for an ITP swirl. It ended up being almost a 50/50 mix of red & white at that point. I poured it into my small wooden mold and it looked great! I pulled the columns of red in the tubes toward the center a bit, and set the whole batch on the counter while I put together the coffee batch next. (it didn't take very long as everything was ready to go~ I just added the lye/coffee solution to the oils, sb'd to trace, & poured.) I put everything into the oven, which was at 170*, turned off the heat, turned on the light, cleaned up & went to bed dreaming of my beautiful soap!

When I got up this morning, the coffee batch looks fine~ it's on the table waiting to be cut later. The peppermint batch, however, moves! When I tilt any of the containers the soap acts like thick stew! I left it in the oven (still off with the light on) and came here to see if it's salvageable. Will it ever harden up? It smells so good & I think it would be so pretty if I can ever cut it! I'm so bummed. :(

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
Carol

45% Olive Oil
30% Coconut
25% Tallow (beef)

ETA: SF was 8% & FO ratio was at .7 ~ I used candycane fo from SweetCakes, peppermint eo, and spearmint eo. I also added vanilla stabilizer in equal amount.

Well, the Vanilla Stabilizer really is only intended for the MP soaps... in CP it really doesn't last; you will get a few months of whiteness, but then the discoloration happens anyway. That, however, shouldn't soup your soap.

I notice that you have a high percentage of OO, and you took no discount for water... THAT could soup your soap... when I made my first Castile with no water discount, it took 96 hours for the soap to set enough to unmold, and an additional 24 hours to become firm enough to cut without crumbling.

I figure you should just give it a little more time... maybe set it on an electric blanket. A cooling oven may not have been enough to get it to set.

I am curious to hear from the more experienced soapers on this one.

I've made soap with 50% OO and didn't get soup, so I don't think that's the problem.

How much lye and water did you use? How big was your batch and how much LabColor did you use?

Anita

Sorry! My day has just gone downhill from this morning. My husband took me to lunch, then shopping for our ds's b-day. While we were out, my dd, who was babysitting, called to say the wooden salt shaker fell from the top of the fridge and broke the stove's glass cooktop! :x Back home to research ranges; off to the store to look at them. Don't like any of the floor models. We don't want another smooth-top range, we want electric coil this time. You can't can or use cast iron on a smooth-top. I can't believe how few electric models were on display! Smooth-tops as far as the eye can see.... Back home to shop online some more. I think I've finally decided on a Kenmore from Sears, but it won't be available for pick-up for 5-7 days... Gah! Oh well... I can still use one large & one small burner and the oven, so I guess I'll make it a week. Frustrating for a family that uses the heck out of the kitchen daily!

Anyways.... back to the soap!

Here is my recipe with amounts:

Olive~ 27 oz
Coconut~ 18 oz
Tallow~ 15 oz

Water~ 22.8 oz
Lye~ 8.4 oz

FO~ 2.6 oz (SweetCakes Candycane FO; Peppermint EO; Spearmint EO)
Van. St.~ 2.6 oz

TD~ 1 tsp
Red Velvet ColorLab~ dilution rate: 10mL diluted in 4 oz (most conservative dilution rate)
~ I used 20 mL in 4 cups of soap

Just figured I'd update this thread...

The soap did set up after a couple of days. I cut it last night; it's still very soft, but firm enough to cut. Definitely not my best soap, but it was a good learning experience & still smells great! Besides, it's not awful, just not exactly how I envisioned it to be. The red morphed into a raspberry color instead, which I was bummed about, but again; lesson learned. I am still on a mission to find that brilliant red... Heading on to clays, micas, and infused oils...

I'm not an expert but that maybe seems like a little more water than necessary. It's 60 oz of oils and 30% of that is about 18 oz of water if I've done the math right. Sitting here with no calculator, sorry! But you were very conservative on the amount of scent so I don't think it's that that made it soupy.

the water sounds a little high, but not terribly so. I don't believe that's your issue.

if the soap didn't separate, then I'd just say that because it has a high level of olive oil, and because it didn't gel, it takes a few days...

Latest posts

Back