help me scientifically respond to the "soap is bad for skin pH" claim

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my..if you think the other one was bad, check out this piece of work:

http://www.thehealthyskinblog.org/“handcrafted”-soaps-beware/#more-2606

Sorry, but this person doesn't know her rear from a hole in the ground. She's written 4 articles and 2 of them are busting home crafted soaps..my guess is, judging from what she says to beware of, that she did the following:

Avoid buying:

- Soap that promises to eliminate psoriasis, because it is illegal to sell this medical product as a cosmetic product.

Im thinking she has psoriasis, and bought soap promising to get rid of it...it didn't work so she went off on a vent spree.

- Soap that is not labelled, because it does not comply with cosmetics legislation.

The soap with the 'miracle cure' she bought didn't have a label..she went with the vendors claims. {who also doesn't know what they are doing}

- Soap that is fruit-shaped, with a fruit topping or with a fruity smell, because it is forbidden to create cosmetics that could be confused with food and accidentally ingested by children.

Bet that soap was fruit shaped and smelled like tutti-frutti, and her kid ate it. And I have yet to find anything 'forbidden' in the cosmetics industry legislation that says its against the law to create anything that could be confused as 'food' because kids may eat it.

This person has no idea that 'soap' doesn't figure into cosmetics or medical unless there is a specific claim, and as long as its only being sold as 'soap' so there is no need to 'comply with cosmetics legislation'

All in all, I wouldn't give this 'chemical engineer' who has written a total of 4 articles, without anything as proof, a second thought..{there are also 11 comments but I cant get them to show up so no idea what the responses were.}

Last edited:
I think she's based in the EU, which makes the labeling points valid, as well as the fruit-shaped point.

But there are so many other terrible points - lye is corrosive, so soap is too? Some soapers have made neutral products? Seriously misinformed piece of drivel

I can understand the label thing....but the fruit shapes?? Really? How odd

The fruit thing seems nutty to me, too. I would think any kid that took a bite out of a fruit shaped piece of soap would be pretty quick to spit it out. On that basis, you'd have to outlaw any kind of food-resembling soap - there goes the last Great Cakes Soapworks contest, or any kind of candle/tart resembling food. Is that really forbidden in the EU, Gent?

The fruit thing seems nutty to me, too...........Is that really forbidden in the EU, Gent?

It appears so, but as always it is enforced to varying degrees. My argument is that eating soap itself is no more deadly than eating real sweets - if you eat a lot of both you can actually become ill, but a little wouldn't harm. Of course, soap might not taste nice, but that is something else entirely.

Oh my..if you think the other one was bad, check out this piece of work:

http://www.thehealthyskinblog.org/“handcrafted”-soaps-beware/#more-2606

Sorry, but this person doesn't know her rear from a hole in the ground. She's written 4 articles and 2 of them are busting home crafted soaps..my guess is, judging from what she says to beware of, that she did the following:

Avoid buying:

- Soap that promises to eliminate psoriasis, because it is illegal to sell this medical product as a cosmetic product.

Im thinking she has psoriasis, and bought soap promising to get rid of it...it didn't work so she went off on a vent spree.

- Soap that is not labelled, because it does not comply with cosmetics legislation.

The soap with the 'miracle cure' she bought didn't have a label..she went with the vendors claims. {who also doesn't know what they are doing}

- Soap that is fruit-shaped, with a fruit topping or with a fruity smell, because it is forbidden to create cosmetics that could be confused with food and accidentally ingested by children.

Bet that soap was fruit shaped and smelled like tutti-frutti, and her kid ate it. And I have yet to find anything 'forbidden' in the cosmetics industry legislation that says its against the law to create anything that could be confused as 'food' because kids may eat it.

This person has no idea that 'soap' doesn't figure into cosmetics or medical unless there is a specific claim, and as long as its only being sold as 'soap' so there is no need to 'comply with cosmetics legislation'

All in all, I wouldn't give this 'chemical engineer' who has written a total of 4 articles, without anything as proof, a second thought..{there are also 11 comments but I cant get them to show up so no idea what the responses were.}

Wow. Just wow. That piece of crap article made me angrier than the one I linked. Articles like that written by so called "experts" could really do damage to our industry because so many people believe the crap they read on the **** internet. Again, wow.

Back