Help -layering problem solving needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought I might post this pick to see if anyone can help me. Yesterday I made a 3 layered soap, fragranced with Vanilla Lace. I knew the soap would discolour, so I kept the shades darker. The bottom is coloured brown, the middle left natural, and the top with TD and choc swirl. I also added a thin layer of cocoa between each layer. Everything seemed to work so well, I thought this soap was going to be magic. But its broken!!

Im wondering if anyone knows why? I have read and seen that you can use cocoa inbetween layers. The soap is still pretty soft and the cocoa is still pretty wet, Im hoping it might bond, but I dont think it will. Im to scared to cut anymore.
I put the soap in the chiller to prevent gell, I'm thinking the lack of heat stopped the layers from sticking??

I want to try this again, so any advice would be wonderful

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've yet to use cocoa between layers, so I'll be glad to hear what the experts have to say.

Sorry you had a mishap. The layers are beautiful. Hopefully, with time it will meld.

Your line might be a bit thick. When you put it on could you still see patches of the bottom layer through it? You don't want a solid line. Also I find that gelling helps layers... but many don't gel and have success.

i find that gelling helps layers stick together too. i can't make straight lines in layers anyway, so i stick a wire whisk through the layers every couple of inches just to stick them together. makes an interesting artsy effect, and disguises the fact that i'm no master of perfect layers :)

agriffin said:
Your line might be a bit thick. When you put it on could you still see patches of the bottom layer through it? You don't want a solid line. Also I find that gelling helps layers... but many don't gel and have success.

Ahhhh ofcourse! I actually covered the base with cocoa pretty well, doh! never even thought about leaving some 'soap to soap' contact.

I'm gutted, going to have to rebatch I guess.

BTW for those of you that havnt tried it -'Vanilla Lace' is devine!

JackiK said:
BTW for those of you that havnt tried it -'Vanilla Lace' is devine![/quote said:
Where'd you get it?

Its a sweet cakes frag. I ordered in in from Australia, you prob have it locally though?

http://www.naturalcandlesupply.com.au/S ... ?pid=14381

It did seperate a wee bit, but came back together

I've just made a batch using the 'Precious Amber' - wow! That's even better, and really good to work with

Here's my Lavender Oats soap ... the cocoa line looks similar to yours ... and it's stayed together just fine. I let my soap gel.

ow they look so good Dragonkaz!
I'm going to try it again. I def think gelling is part of it. My fridge is actually a 'beer chiller' so its really cold, and the cocoa was still really wet. But I think I also put to much on.

Alas I was forced to rebatch...I now have vanilla cupcakes - I hate making cupcakes. I'm terrible at it. I brought a piping thing for the frosting (I made whipped soap to go ontop of rebatch base), filled it up, pushed and....it split. Freaken raw soap everywhere. It was a shambles, I didnt have gloves on and ended up trying to shape the frosting with bare hands (idiot). My hands are sore, and I have 2 actualy lye holes on my fingers.

I vouch never to make cupcakes again

Just wondering, did you use a WSP Green silicine mold? I only ask because I've been having the same problem w/ layers seperating. I haven't had anything between the soap layers though so I can only assume it has something to do with sticking to the mold. I've done cocoa powder between layers before too and I think it looked similar to yours and I had no problems. I just made my 3rd batch of the same 3 layered soap last night and am hoping beyond hope it stays together this time. I used the stinking WSP molds again (I love them, just not for this particular project :lol: ). To help prevent the sticking/suction problem, I lined them this time and it better work! :?

Latest posts

Back