Ham soap accident. Yes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squigglz

Reaction score
Alright, so.

My store needs new hot process soaps. I already made a list of many, many soaps I plan to make soon, but those require the ingredients that are coming on the truck from BB in a week or so.

I have a lovely apple crumble fragrance I got from Saveonscents, and really wanted to use that.

So I mix everything up, get it to trace, cook it, all that jazz. I add my FO mixture (decided to spice it up a little more to make it less dessert-y) and BB's ruby jewelry box colorant. Obviously since it's hp, I knew it would be pink, and I was okay with that, because pink is awesome.

I glopped it in the molds (pringles can with the excess going in my square molds), and waited.

When I unmolded and prepared to cut, I realized something really important that I really should have seen coming.

My soap looks like ham.

I mean, EXACTLY like ham. Like if you bought a slab of deli-meat ham for sandwiches.

hamsoap.jpg

I've only worked with red twice before, both times in glycerin melt and pour. What are the chances that this will fade or deepen to a...less hammy color?

If it doesn't, I may simply cut hearts out of the round log and use as inserts in a loaf of hot process or just to sell on their own as little valentine's soap.

The soap smells amazing, which makes this more heartbreaking for me :( I love apples.

Ideas?

I think you should cut it in the shape of a pig, or perhaps a strip of bacon. I would totally buy that.

Also it totally looks like ham and I love it. <3

Last edited:
I think you should cut it in the shape of a pig, or perhaps a strip of bacon. I would totally buy that.

Also it totally looks like ham and I love it. <3

At the very least, I'm saving the recipe (it was a new one, obviously lol) to make a bacon scented novelty soap later =P

I just hope the color fades or deepens, one or the other, else I'm going to have to sell these at a pretty big discount, lol xD

Can you imagine if you labeled it SPAM soap?!!! I bet ppl would buy it! It does look like ham. So Sorry!!!

It's okay! I still have the curing time to see if the color changes a bit. I'm just...flabbergasted, haha.

Probably not a big seller at the Jewish Community Center Charity Bazaar, but it does make me hungry for sweet potatoes. So, there's that ..... ;-)

...and considering that the market I can sell at offline is smack in the middle of a very devout Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, I think I'll stick to selling this one online, lol >.>;

Can you imagine if you labeled it SPAM soap?!!! I bet ppl would buy it! It does look like ham. So Sorry!!!

LOL! I was totally thinking Spam. But hey, apples and ham go together. Maybe you can spray a smoke fragerence on it while it's still wettish and call it apple-wrapped bacon soap for all the foodies! :D

Lmbo! The replies in this entire thread have me laughing so hard I'm crying! Sorry your soap looks like ham. Maybe you could rebatch it & add more color or make a green egg shaped soap & sell it as a green eggs & ham combo pack!

Hilarious suggestions all!

See squigglz, your soap made people happy and smile today and that's what it is really all about :)

Latest posts

Back