Hair Gel Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innocent114

Reaction score
Without my hair too hard, I need to try a recipe for my own use like the following? Could you guys help me on the percentages used? Thanks in advance.

Ingredients:

Aqueous-infused extracts of marshmallow, chamomile, horsetail and nettle, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, potassium sorbate, citric acid and a delightful natural fragrance.

I just want to get the percentages down without making my hair too hard.

On my 1st attempt, I want to try:

50% infused water (marshmallow, chamomile, horsetail and nettle)
46% aloe vera
2% agave nectar
2% citric acid

(dont have potassium sorbate)

What do you guys think?

Are you trying to dupe Kinky Curly Curling Custard? Good luck...
Here's an easy hair gel to try - Flaxseed Gel:

1/2 cup flaxseeds
2 cup distilled/purified water

Boil flaxseeds in water until foamy - about 5 minutes. Strain immediately into container. Can add these for variations: 1/2 teaspoon of magnesium sulfate/epsom salt, a few drops of FO/EO, 1/4 cup aloe vera juice, 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar/honey. The cooled consistency is similar to egg whites. Can be stored in the freezer and thawed when needed. You need to use A LOT of this gel in order to get good hold, like 2-4 oz. It will dry crunchy, but can easily be scrunched out.

OR

You can also soak the flaxseeds in herb infused water overnight. It should form the gel-like consistancy after the seeds are strained from the water.

Potassium Sorbate is a preservative.

It gives a pretty strong hold. You have to use a lot more than you would a normal gel. It has a slimy feel, and your hair should feel like silky seaweed. It will dry crunchy, but when you scrunch it out, your curls should be soft and defined. Like any hair product, you won't know how your hair reacts unless you try it, but it is an inexpensive experiment. If you don't like the gel in your hair, ground flaxseeds are good in breads, muffins, and yogurt!

Here's a link with more info: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Flaxseed-Hair-Gel

Cool! Thanx for the info! Did you try flax seed? Do you like it?

Latest posts

Back