Gunky drains

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonya -- For your particular water, I'd do a trial batch with a low to medium dose of sodium citrate -- perhaps 0.2% to 0.5% or so. Since your water isn't super hard, I'm guessing you shouldn't need the max dosage.

I tried to do a calculation of the sodium citrate dosage you'd need based on your water hardness of 41 mg/L. I could calculate an answer if one would use X grams of soap in Y grams of water. That kind of situation would be similar to putting soap in a washing machine for a load of clothes.

But we don't normally use bath soap that way, so the dosage needed is dependent on how one uses a bath soap. That brings it back to a bit of a guessing game, so I've given you my best guess! :)

Another thought -- one reason why a soapmaker might use a higher dosage, even if her own water was soft, is that the people she sells or gives the soap to may have harder water. I am just starting to check into this aspect of soapmaking, so I can't speak with any authority on how much sodium citrate might be too much in a soap; just passing on what others have shared. Tetrasodium EDTA is another additive that can be added to make soap work better in hard water, FWIW.

Last edited:
There was an additives swap some time ago to look at effect of various extras. One of them was sodium citrate. It was added at a rate of 3% of oils and the lather was definitely increased compared to the base bar so it can be used to boost lather as well as cut soap scum. I use about a tablespoon in my 28 ounce oil batch. I tried once to dissolve it in my lye water but opted out of that. I make a 1:1 lye solution and then dissolve the sodium citrate in my balance of liquids, add that to the oils and blend well before adding the lye water. Increases the lather in a light and fluffy way, not creamy.

Thanks for mentioning the dose in the Lather Lover's swap was 3%. That gives us a realistic max limit. I'll update my notes on that point.

Back