Grainy whipped soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanguine

Reaction score
Hii, as i think my first post about this dissapeared i'd like to post it again as my problem isnt solved yet.

A few weeks ago i made whipped soap that now that i use it it feels very grainy but i have no idea why it is, the soap doesnt zap and i scented it with cherry blossom, which i really like so i would like to use the soap.

My ingredients are:
10% apricot kernel oil
10% castor oil
5% olive oil
15% mango butter
25% shea butter
20% avocado butter
10% coconut oil
5% beef tallow

Also used a bit of glycerin to dissolve my colors in. I first whipped the butters for 10mins, added the oils and whipped for 10 mins then added the cold lye and whipped 10 mins in a kenwood mixer. The mixture was smooth when i "poured" it and non of my butters were grainy at the start.

Really hope someone can help me,
Thanks in advance!

Hasn't happened to me, but I always bring soap to trace before whipping.

Also, I've heard people getting grainy butters and maybe this is what happened. And I am not sure grains would show up before the soap cools down.

Is it grainy or did the whipped soap rice up on you? I've had a couple cherry blossom fo's that riced.

I like Fragola only whip when it's traced.

Never saw anything happen to it, its like all the pictures as videos i saw of whipped soap

I can't help with your question but now wonder how the others make whipped, floating soap? I thought you whipped the butters to a stiff peak, add the liqued oils, whip some more then add the lye water and keep whipping till stiff peaks again. Are you saying you make a cold soap base the traditional way then whip the entire batch after trace?

Cool! Thanks, I gotta try that. I tried the other way and was not able to get much air in it. It floated but I could not pipe it or make anything out of it because it was way to limp.

shea butter can get grainy when its melted then re-crystalizes.

Heat the butter to 170-185 degrees F and keep this temperature steady for 10-15 minutes. The steady heat will eliminate the fat crystals that are causing the graininess. Rapid cooling may help stop the crystals from reforming

to get the creamiest butter, stirr it untill it cools.

Back