Gotta Love the Hubby who....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wants fruitcake a few days before Christmas... He now has 30 lbs worth so I hope it lasts him most of the year! I love wrapping them in cheesecloth and soaking them with brandy as they "cure". Told him he can cut one in 4 weeks...:evil:.
Next I have to get my grape leaves stuffed, pesky job

Sounds like your house would be a great place to visit this Christmas! :)
As much as I love to make soap it is nice to be baking instead. Heading into the kitchen to make my mom a scratch lemon bundt cake with cranberry in the middle. Not my recipe, a food network recipe and it looks delish!

As much as I love to make soap it is nice to be baking instead. Heading into the kitchen to make my mom a scratch lemon bundt cake with cranberry in the middle. Not my recipe, a food network recipe and it looks delish!

I'm hopping in the truck now! With traffic, I think I can still be there before Christmas. :)

I love cooking. Thinking it has a lot of similarity's with soap making. Different amounts of ingredients. Tweaking recipes to find that perfect sauce. Baking as well, though about all I ever bake is homemade kolaches. :)

The only fruitcake I ever loved was my cousin's, and she did the cheesecloth/brandy thing too. She made them way ahead of time, and every so often would open their tins, add some more booze and then close them up again. Ooooo...they were amazing! And stuffed grape leaves.....YUM! Love those. Have some for me.

My oven died, so there will be no baking this year. I will seriously miss my biscotti. Oh well. I've found some other non baked goodies to make as gifts.....marinated feta cheese and cranberry/lime vodka. The vodka is pretty, the red and green makes it look festive. But I do miss the smell of baking in the house. Ah well, there's always next year.

MMMM. Kolaches. I so miss those after leaving Texas. As a Czech, please enjoy my people's gift to world. You're welcome. :)

Haha, I knew I liked you! I'm German and Czech. The Czech, (mom's side) of the family came to the US, just two generations ago. My mom says the recipe we use has been a family secret for as far back as they can remember. Apparently grandma's side was known for their kolaches, Grandpa's side was known for beer consumption. ha

I mainly make a Poppy Seed and Cream Cheese kolache roll. A batch of 4 big rolls, about 13 inches long, can disappear within a hour, once my kids see them. :)

Last edited:
We're practically inverse cousins! My mom was German and Czech. My dad grew up on a hop farm and immigrated from Czechoslovakia in the 60s. Unfortunately, mom didn't cook very much so I never got the homemade kolaches. But you're making me drool just thinking about the kolache deliciousness I could buy down there!

Latest posts

Back