Goat Milk soap and Condensation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegriffiths

Heather
Reaction score
I am still learning (always will be) and I have run into a small issue. I am on my 4th batch of cold process goat milk soap. When I have it in the mold, I put it in the freezer to stop the gel stage.

Obviously, when I take it out of the freezer it causes the top of the soap to condensate while its coming back to room temp.

It seems to stay sticky after that. I have some from my first batch that is still sticky after 6 weeks of curing.

Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks!!

I would put it in the fridge for a day or so to slowly bring the temp up. I'm not sure why it is making it sticky. I do a lot of goats milk soap and don't have that issue once it cures. Although I have had a batch that seemed like it would never get hard and it finally did, 6 MONTHS later...

It may be related to the oils you're using, thegriffiths ...... Are you using quite a high proportion of castor oil? That's the one that I'd most associate with stickiness. If you share your recipe, we may be able to give you better feedback on what the problem might be.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I think you might be right Saswede. I read somewhere else that castor makes sticky soap so I made a batch yesterday morning with 5% instead of my normal 8% castor. I wouldnt think 3% would make a difference...but there is no stickiness to it this time.

I will check it again tonight - but usually its already very sticky.

Holding thumbs that this batch goes better!

The only soaps that I go higher than 5% castor oil are those that are high in CO - where I step up the castor to make the larger more creamy, and the soap less drying ..... And they're not sticky at all.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Back