Goat Milk CPOP Disaster?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargal66

Reaction score
Ok, so I read about CPOP this past week and really wanted to try it. Apparently I hadn't read enough... I made the 2lb recipe (below) with CP, used frozen goats milk to mix with lye, combined oils and milk/lye mixture at 95F, added FO 1oz (Black Amber and Lavender from BB). I had reserved 2 tsps of oil in a cup mixed with my colorant (lavender and blue oxides), so I mixed a small portion of the batch in the cup. I poured the rest uncolored into my freezer paper lined mold (glass loaf pan) and then used the purple colored portion to make a swirl and pattern on top. Everything looked great, so I popped it into my 170f pre-heated oven. I left it for 1.5 hours (I had read 1 hour and 2 hours so I went halfsy...). Then I turned off the oven and went to sleep. I peeked (through the glass) before bed and it looked like some oil had bubbled up, but i thought it would sort itself out and just waited. I was wrong. It still has a giant pool of oil on top and my swirl looks like it got a disease! Also, my lining technique needs some work as it looks like it leaked out the bottom and burned to a dark orange. I haven't unmolded it yet because I wanted to post and see if I should 1) let it sit and see if it absorbs the oil, 2) toss it, 3) try to pull it out and rebatch it, or 4) soak up the oil, pull it out and cut it?
I'm pretty sure that I did a bad job lining the mold and I left the oven on too long since the milk will also heat up the soap. I read on one forum where they actually just preheated the oven and turned it off right when they put the soap in. Is that the best method for GM CPOP or is there no such thing... dissapointed since all of my soaps over the past year have been coming out lovely.

Recipe (2lb)
Olive Oil 16oz (50%)
Coconut Oil 4.8oz (15%)
Canola Oil 3.2oz (10%)
Sunflower Oil 3.2oz (10%)
Castor Oil 3.2oz (10%)
Shea Butter 1.6oz (5%)
Frozen Goats Milk 12.16
Lye 4.292
FO 1 oz
5% superfat, milk was at 38%

Here's what they looked like:

wp000531.jpg

wp000529.jpg

wp000527.jpg

wp000530o.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this. I'd love to save it, but since it's only 2lb, I'm ok with tossing it. Mostly I really want to learn what to do different next time.

it looks like major overheating. if it were me, i wouldnt use glass to do CPOP.

you can save all of the oil and soap and then rebatch it. it will be rather simple to do at this point. just cut everything up including the oil pool on top and put into the microwave for short 30 second bursts until everything is melted, then quickly put into a mold and allow to cool. it wont be beautiful but it will can be saved. :)

I don't OP my milksoaps. It kind of eliminates the whole idea of freezing the milk to mix the lye. With mine I either let them gel with no tops as they already get pretty warm, or I no-gel them in the freezer.
That said, I did the same thing you did when I first started...it was a horrible stink and ugly soap. DO this. Hide it for a year and then look again. Mine wound up in a closet and i forgot to throw it out. It is the mildest, silkiest most awesome soap with NO bad smell now. I love it....but not enough to do that again LOL :mrgreen:

I rebatched an overheated GM CPOP recently, and it turned out quite well. I also had a high SF of 11%, so I think that also contributed to the oily top.

If you can't wait, shred it and toss it into the crock pot for a few hours. It should be just fine.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, I did a rebatch crockpot style. I'll post some pics of it, I think it's going to be ok. It ended up pretty similar in consistency and color to a crockpot HP that I did a month ago.

adoptapitbull - you said you rebatched a GM CPOP that overheated, so that means that youv'e done ones that haven't, right?!? Would you be ok with letting me know what i did differently from you (temp, time, mold material, etc) so that I can try it again and hopefully get a better result than this one?

Sure.

The lowest setting my gas oven does is 200 degrees. I put some in at 200, checked every few minutes, and turned off the oven and cracked the door as soon as I saw gel. Some had a few little bubbles on top that I was able to shave off with my planer.

I used a silicone mold, too, which I think works much better than glass.

Also, try to keep it as a simple recipe without many sugary additives like honey, which will heat it up even faster.

Thanks, I think I just really need to pay attention to the soap instead of the timer :oops: Especially since I have the GM in there. I also need to get some of those loaf silicon molds. i have fun shapes, but not loafs.

Good news is that i think the rebatch worked! I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out and my husband even commented on it, he's kinda immune to my soap adventures by now so when he said, "hey, I like those, nice job" it was great because he didn't realize they were a saved batch. Yeah!!

Here is what I did. Scroll down to skip the process and get to the finished product. But I wanted to add this to show others that have the same issues as me :)

I popped it out of the dish and poured the oil back into it. It was so so oily! It also had this weired reddish brown sludge on the bottom... So I scooped that into the dish as well.
wp000551.jpg
wp000555.jpg
wp000552.jpg
wp000557.jpg

It was pretty soft, so I knew that shredding would be a mess - like warm cheese. So I decided to dice it instead. Here's what it looked like when I sliced into it. Not a very good swirl anyway, so no big loss.
wp000562c.jpg
wp000567.jpg
wp000563.jpg

I poured the extra oil from the dish into the crockpot and turned it on low. Then i added all the diced soap, gave it a quick stir and covered it. I checked it every 20 minutes and after about 80 minutes it seemed to be a pretty good consistency. It still had a few chunks in it, but I figured it would be ok.
wp000574.jpg
wp000580.jpg
wp000582.jpg

I plopped it into my favorite mold, an orange juice container :) It seemed ok, just kinda boring. So I dug through my stash and found some old pieces of unscented GM CP that I had several months ago and I just pushed them in. Then I added some fun on top, some extra curls and pieces. Then some glitter, well, because i like it. ;)
wp000587.jpg
wp000588l.jpg
wp000589.jpg
wp000594.jpg

I waited a few hours until it was cool to the touch and decided I couldn't wait anymore. So I slid it out of the mold and pulled back the freezer paper. I was happy to see that the color had paled a little from the caramel dark brown it was when I put it in the mold.
wp000595.jpg
wp000597.jpg
wp000598.jpg
wp000601.jpg

It's relatively smooth. I should have been more careful to not get the dried chunks from the side of the crockpot into the mold, you can definitely see those spots when I cut it. And there are some air bubbles so I should have worked longer to get those out. Otherwise, i'm pretty happy. It wasn't what I had meant to make, but it turned out after all. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I tried a small sliver and it soaped up really nicely, big bubbles and ph tested at 8. It's a little soft, but some cure time will fix that up.

Cpop goat milk soap

I am new to soap making and new to this forum but would like to share my success with this particular soap. I just finished a batch of 12 lbs GM lavender cpop soap with no issues what so ever. My recipe is 50% olive, 25% lard, 21% coconut, and 4% castor superfatted @ 6%. Heat all oils just until the lard melts enough to combine. Lye solution is 30% with half liquids water and half gm condensed. I do not add the gm of eo until the lyr and oils are mixed well. Trace happens fairly quickly, even with the low temps and high olive content. Wooden mold I made w/ lid and oven pre-heated to 170. I will turn the oven on periodically to keep temps close to 170 by thermometer (not the ovens setting) for 1 hour. I do not leave the oven on. The heat from the soap keeps my oven close to 170 anyway so I am just helping insulate the form. The soap is at full gel by 30 min. After 1 hour I leave the oven off, closed, and remove the mold the next morning. I believe I read that the lower water/lye concentration the higher gel temp/tendency. I believe using the higher lye concentration is what helps me avoid overheating.

I read on one forum where they actually just preheated the oven and turned it off right when they put the soap in. Is that the best method for GM CPOP or is there no such thing...

That's what I do. I have yet to have a problem with overheating. But I use a wooden mold.

Latest posts

Back