Fragrance Usage VS Batch Size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaney

Reaction score
I read on Soapalooza's site the following under Fragrance Usage Guidelines:

Cold Process Soap: .5 oz to .8 oz per lb of base oils (3 - 5%). Smaller batches will use the upper usage range, as the small batch can not compensate as well against the lye. Larger batches often can use the lower ranges of usage guidelines, as the mass of the batch allows more fragrance to survive.

I have never heard this before and was wondering if anyone found this to be the case for them? Is a small batch considered a pound or two? I can see that it would make sense if the piece of soap was small because there is more surface area in relation to the size of the bar for the FO to dissipate, but I have never heard of batch size affecting FO load. I would love to hear your views on this.

My rule of thumb is .7 - 1 ounce of fragrance per pound of oil. It honestly depend on your preference-- you want a strong scent, you put more. I also personally take to consideration the IFRA Maximum Skin Level exposure, which has a percentage, and stay below or within that range. So if I am making 4 pounds of soap I put 2.8 ounces of fragrance. However, if the IFRA states that 3.3% is the safe skin exposure, then I cannot use 2.8 ounces, and instead, use 2.11 ounces maximum. That's how I do my fragrances.

I don't understand what that site is saying. So smaller batches you use more fragrance and larger batches you use less? I feel like that is wasting money, and should be the opposite-- larger the batch, more fragrance, smaller the batch less fragrance.

And I think that's why flashpoint of fragrance helps us out. If you put it within the range, the fragrance will survive. I'm with you on this :/

I actually do use a higher percentage of fo when I pour my soaps I use for samples. It is usually a 1 lb batch and the little soapies have a hard time hanging onto the fragrance. Most of my fo usage is 6% with 7% for my sample soapies. Even with Soapalooza fo's I use 1oz ppo (approx 6%) Nope I really do not worry about IFRA guides, we are not controlled by them and fragrance manufacturers do no have to join the organization.

Confused-Penguin - I think the site is saying you use more or less PPO depending on the entire batch. Small batch you would use more PPO and large batch you may be able to get away using less PPO.

CMZAHA - I'm confused by some of the IFRA guidelines. I just looked at one and the fragrance could only be used at 5% in soap, but up to 50% in cream. This makes no common sense to me since cream stays on your skin but soap is a wash off product. I do try to follow the guidelines since I don't want to make a product that is irritating to anyone, but at the same time the guidelines make no sense. I guess I should research to find out how they determine usage for each product. I'm probably missing something.

I too pretty much use 1 oz ppo unless it's a particularly strong scent. There are a few I use from between .5 and .8 However, if the usuage rate is really low say 1% I just don't buy or use it.

Latest posts

Back