Fragrance ideas based on these personalities

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
I have the idea of making a loaf of CPOP soap for each person in my family, and want to scent them according to that person's personality. I want to use fragrance oils while staying away from anything strong, cheap candle-like or controversial. The more subtle and natural the better, of course! Could you help me think through what scents and blends might fit each of my profiles?

Papa's Backyard Fire Soap: I don't want this to smell charred ... maybe fir + cedarwood or snow + fir? Made for my dad who has a lot of fires in the backyard fire pit through the winter months.

Nana's Baby Nap Soap: I love the idea of getting my mom a calming, lavender-based scent since her grandbabies love falling asleep on her.

Sarah's Strong Heart Soap: This is a tough one. She loves the slightly unusual and wears a dragon's blood scent already, but she also has a softer side which loves crafting and caring for sick animals. And she HATES lavender. I'm stuck.

Jaclyn's Origami Soap: I'm looking for something that smells like fresh paper or light flowers for my sister-in-law, who never wears makeup or jewelry and loves the simple things.

Grandpa's Ship Captain Soap: What are some classic nautical scents for dudes? Grandpa is a classic male with a new lake boat.

Nonie's Norwegian Wood Soap: My great-aunt loves genealogy and our Norwegian heritage. Some ideas are butter and sugar (lefse!) or wood-based/water-based scents to reflect our family owned lumberyard or Norway's coastline.

Ross's Deer Stand Soap: My brother is a hunter and a goofball. He needs something outdoorsy and manly without screaming tobacco.

Would love any/all ideas!

Last edited:
Offering suggestions from Nature's Garden just because ordering all oils from one site saves the most $$ .. other sites have similar fragrances.

Papa ~ Crackling Firewood or Fireplace

Nana ~ Baby Clean or Lemon Lavender

Sarah ~ sandalwood and vanilla or sandalwood with a touch of floral. NG has a Wild Currant and Sandalwood

Jaclyn ~ Rice Petals & Shea

Grandpa ~ Bay Rum

Nonie ~ Bayberry & Teakwood or a blend of lily, watermelon, and snowflower (Laila is a popular Norwegian fragrance that has those notes)

Ross ~ Cedar, pine, ozone, orange. NG has Fresh Outdoors

Ship Captain--equal parts sandalwood FO and all spice EO-smells just like Old Spice
Papas's Backyard Fire soap--2 pts. frankincense, 2 pts. cypress, 1 part sandalwood FO, 1 pt. juniper, 1 pt. pine
Nana's Baby Nap Soap--equal parts rose FO and Vanilla FO-- smells like baby powder--may discolor because of the vanilla
Jaclyn's Origami Soap--touch of oakmoss, 3 pts. bergamot, 2 pts. neroli
Sarah's Strong Heart Soap--3 pts. coconut FO, 2 pts. peppermint.

Papa: AHRE's bonfire bliss or NG's cracklin' birch.

Nana: there is a Huggies scent (NG or perhaps Candle Science or WSP). BB also carries something called relaxing which is a calming scent with lavender.

Nonie: Soapalooza has a FO called Norwegian Woods. I haven't used it myself but it is very popular.

Sarah: maybe try a cedar and saffron type (BB or Bitter Creek North) or Mayan Gold.

Jacyln - no idea, I'm terrible with florals and non scents. You could try a light herbal blend - maybe rosemary mint or something like that.

Grandpa - I'd go for a Brown Windsor but don't know if you can find that in a FO. It was a very popular 19th century sea faring soap scent. Bay Rum is probably easier - Oregon Trails has a really good one.

Ross: for hunters you could try a dirt FO (WSP has a good one) or just use anise EO which is the only fragrance that actually covers up human scent if he wants to use it while hunting.

If you are looking for one stop shopping, you can probably get most of what you need from Nature's Garden.

For the hunters you can do a camo soap. You seperate into four batches and color one green, one black (charcoal), one brown (coffee) and leave one natural. You want the soap to be kind of thick b/c you don't want soft swirls, you want blobs.

There are so many heavily-testing human scent removers out there that I, personally, don't want to bet on anise. So I make my hunter friends and family the camo soap, and scent it with anything I like. Also, IMO anise is not a neutral scent. People either really like it or really hate it.

Thanks for the info about hunter's soap; I didn't even think about the practical applications but of course that's perfect for my brother who is uber practical.

Cedar and saffron sounds super interesting. She'll dig anything complex.

Do guys actually like bay rum? Sounds so old fashioned.

So excited to start this project!

Latest posts

Back