FOs that turn sour on your skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NancyRogers

Reaction score
I've been having this problem more and more often. I notice it mostly with NG FO, but there have been one or two others that do this as well. I love them out of the bottle, but once on my skin, they turn this awful sour note and it's the only note that stays on my skin. It's very strange.

Any idea what causes that and how I can avoid it? I'll give you an idea of some of the ones from NG that do this to me (and this is not a complete list)

Alien
Mistletoe and Ivy (love it OOB and in soap, but when I wash with it...ick!)
Princess Type
Wild Elderberry (which smells fine on my kids)
Loving Spell
Blackened Amethyst
Baby Bee Buttermilk
Sugar Cookie Brulee

UGH! I know there are more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I know it's happened to me before as well. I used to purchase soaps from a seller on etsy, but I had several issues with many of her soaps turning on me. I called it a perm-like odor, as that's really what it smelled like to me. Either way, it wasn't a good smell.

I'd be interested in finding out what causes this as well, as the only thing I can guess it might be is the fragrance oil mixing badly with my natural chemistry. Beyond that guess, I haven't a clue.

it happens to me with many fine fragrances. if I want to wear fragrance I need to apply it to my hair.

i personally think it's a matter of skin chemistry, and different folks have slightly different skin.

that is how i am with Rose scents. i love all things rose but if you put it on my skin.... bleh! it turns gross and sour.

Yes, it's body chemistry. I can put on a perfume that I've admired on another woman and on me it smells like cat's pee. :evil:

NancyRogers said:
I've been having this problem more and more often. I notice it mostly with NG FO, but there have been one or two others that do this as well. I love them out of the bottle, but once on my skin, they turn this awful sour note and it's the only note that stays on my skin. It's very strange.
I'm sure the answer is yes, but thought I'd check - you are diluting these, right? Not putting on skin full strength?

carebear said:
NancyRogers said:
I'm sure the answer is yes, but thought I'd check - you are diluting these, right? Not putting on skin full strength?

Always. The thing that is strange is the sour note will remain on my skin for hours no matter the application. Soap, body spray, lotion. It doesn't matter. I guess I'll have to use the remaining fo of the sour scents in wax tarts. In the future, I'm going to mix a drop of the fo with some jojoba and test before I make a whole loaf or lotion. I've just wasted too much product on fo that don't work for me.

Latest posts

Back