For all of you with keen noses...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
What do you think of a wintery EO blend with fir needle, ginger, spearmint, and possibly benzoin? I just ordered the benzoin and have never used it before. As I understand, it is kinda tricky to use? Any pointers would be great. I'm also rendering tallow for the first time ever! Sooo excited!

Try it out on a cotton pad first in drops, so you can tweak it and make it perfect. I haven't had any trouble with benzoin, except for it being very thick and a pain to get out of the bottle. I just run hot water over the bottle for a while for easier pouring. Good luck with the tallow- I've only rendered once, and I didn't like it. Have fun- my favorite part of soaping is the experimentation!

Try it out on a cotton pad first in drops, so you can tweak it and make it perfect. I haven't had any trouble with benzoin, except for it being very thick and a pain to get out of the bottle. I just run hot water over the bottle for a while for easier pouring. Good luck with the tallow- I've only rendered once, and I didn't like it. Have fun- my favorite part of soaping is the experimentation!

Duh. Genius! So simple but yet so far from my sometimes absent mind lol! Thank you so much. Can't wait to try it out! Still cooking the fat as we speak but I think it's about time to strain it. Have you used other animal fats that you haven't rendered and liked it in soap? I've never even used a soap with tallow in it let alone render it.

I rendered lamb fat, and the soap was lovely, but the process was very long and horribly stinky. My family won't stand for any more rendering!

I rendered lamb fat, and the soap was lovely, but the process was very long and horribly stinky. My family won't stand for any more rendering!

Lamb is a very stinky meat to begin with no matter what part you use. The beef actually smelled kinda good like beef stock and browned ground beef. I'm glad you enjoyed your soap! I think I'm going to make the tallow into soap for dogs.

Btw, I posted this reply yesterday and somehow it ended up as a comment in the "Advertising Policy" post haha! I don't know how in the world it ended up there.

What do you think of a wintery EO blend with fir needle, ginger, spearmint, and possibly benzoin? I just ordered the benzoin and have never used it before. As I understand, it is kinda tricky to use? Any pointers would be great. I'm also rendering tallow for the first time ever! Sooo excited!

Just tried this blend out... it's horrible! It smells like Play-Doh with some other hint of grossness. :sick: I think it's the benzoin. I don't think I really like it :-|

Just tried this blend out... it's horrible! It smells like Play-Doh with some other hint of grossness. :sick: I think it's the benzoin. I don't think I really like it :-|

Just had to say I love that smiley lol. Sorry your scent combo didn't work.

Latest posts

Back