Fondant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslavey

Reaction score
Ever have crappy tasting fondant? Yeah, me too. I've finally figured out an easy recipe for fondant that people won't be pulling off their cakes and cupcakes and tossing out with the garbage.

16oz mini marshmallows
2lbs icing sugar (roughly)
2-6tbsp water
container of Crisco handy
glycerine (optional)

You need to have a good amount of counter space for this. In a double boiler, put all 16oz of the marshmallows in the pot and put it on a medium heat. While that's starting to heat up, grease your countertop with Crisco. I usually do a space in the shape of a circle, about 2 feet in diameter.

Then pour 2/3 of your powdered sugar into the middle of that circle. Go back to your pot and stir the marshmallows until completely melted.

When it is finished melting, grease your hands with Crisco GENEROUSLY, as this is going to be a sticky mess.

Pour the melted marshmallow into the center of the powdered sugar pile, and begin kneading and folding as if you were making bread. Add the rest of your icing sugar. Knead, knead, knead. You may have to re-grease your hands and counter top a couple of times as well.

After about 7-10 minutes of kneading, you should have a pretty decent ball of fondant made. If it tears easily, add a teaspoon of water at a time and knead some more. What I've also done in the past is massaged small amounts of glycerine into the fondant as well, but beware that this might give your fondant a little more shiny look to it.

It's very handy if you can have someone on standby, who you can use to scrape sticky fondant off your fingers with a butterknife every couple of minutes after you begin kneading. Also, I wouldn't ever advise wearing disposable gloves, or even gloves of any kind to do this. I made that mistake the first time I made fondant, and it was impossible to get fondant off the gloves, so I ended up wasting a LOT of fondant because it had stuck to the gloves, and there was no getting it off without getting bits of glove in the fondant.

It's best if you can make this the night before you intend to use it, but you can use it right away if you are so inclined. To store it, just roll it into a ball, rub it with a little Crisco, and wrap it in plastic wrap. It can be kept in the fridge for several weeks. I've even had it completely useable still after 2 months.

47024_538972588117_66602270_31639476_93845_n.jpg

18555_293515531524_596536524_3841528_890108_n.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of how I've used my fondant. Cupcakes have been a passion of mine, so I've mostly only used fondant on cupcakes. I'm not very good with laying fondant over cakes, so I'm not going to bother showing the one cake-wreck I had done :)

If anybody tries this, let me know how it turns out. It actually is pretty decent tasting. Bonus: if you can find flavored marshmallows, those will work just fine as well. I've been dying to try this with some strawberry flavored marshmallows!

Wow! Thank you for sharing that! :)

Fondant sure makes a cake look pretty and all (yours look absolutely gorgeous, by the way!), but I can't stand the taste of it! Blech! I'm one of those you mentioned who always pulls it off the cake and tosses it in the trash. :lol:

I have a family friend with her own little baking business who usually makes and brings 2 cakes for my nephews' birthdays- one is a really impressive looking cake made with fondant, and the other is a more humble looking but enjoyable cake frosted with yummy whipped cream frosting. We all dig into the more humble looking one first, and when that's gone the kids unwrap the fondant off the other cake, toss it out, and eat what's underneath. :lol: I think I'll give her your recipe and see what she thinks (it sounds like it would be a lot more pleasant tasting).

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back