Fly Spray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryGardenGirl

Reaction score
Okay, so I know this isn't technically a soap thread, but it deals with the same ingredients . . .

I have a horse with super sensitive skin that breaks out in hives from commercial horse products. I would like to make a fly spray that I can use on all my livestock-ish animals that will discourage flies and ticks.

Does anyone have any recipes????

Vinegar, Citronella EO, Garlic, and OO are a few ingredients I thought might work. Oil and water don't mix so how would I get an even mixture out of a spray bottle?

Any suggestions, comments, advice?

Thanks!

In South Africa we use Khaki Bos infusions.

I do not know whether you have the same plants over there ~ they are also called Black Jacks ?

You would boil a large amount of the leaves for about 10 minutes, then let it cool down. Strain and bottle. The leaves placed under furniture also keep ants away.

ETA ~ You may find this link helpful.

http://gardening.mweb.co.za/a0050.htm

and this one

http://vondis.liveeco.co.za/?m=3&idkey=529

It seems that Marigolds will have the same effect.

Random thoughts:

a person I know sprays vinegar water towards her animals faces when they are being ornery to teach them manners--it stings or something. If you want to use this on the horses face, maybe vinegar would not be a good idea. (I don't know what concentration she used)

My mom uses marigolds as a tick repellant.

neem products are supposed to work well as an insect repellant and be good for skin (at least people skin) Pricy, though.

Hope you can find something--poor horse!

I don't think we have that plant in North America - I've never heard of it, anyway. :)

Catnip is supposed to repel mosquitoes, and a lot of "natural" flysprays have lavender in them. Ah, I've just found a bottle of "Deep North Outdoor Spray" for pets - it has "lemongrass, lavender, citronella, cedarwood, eucalyptus and peppermint oils, purified water, emulsifying lotion" - does that help?

I suspect that anything you make up, you're going to have to shake it really well before spraying.

I remember using Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil on horses years ago. Some people still swear by it.

My personal feeling on fly-sprays is that they only work for about 10 minutes at the very best, so I only use them when I'm going to ride.

Maria said:
How about food grade DE? We started using it after Wilbur the pig came to live here.

DE isn't "repellent" and wouldn't keep the flies off the horse, although it might help with the manure pile. It does work well for lice and mites and such, and I use it on the goatpen floors when I clean them.

My farrier swears by a mixture of vinegar, skin so soft, water and blue listerine mouthwash (sorry, I don't have the qty's of each) I've also seen folks use OFF.

Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, and gold Listerine on our farm. I've experimented with several other concotions, and they all seem to work just as well - AC vinegar/water/ivory dish detergent, lavender water, skin so soft, gold listerine/water, water/pine sol, mineral oil/lemon juice/citronella, bounce dryer sheets tied to the headstall during a ride.

Sorry I don't have exact measurements ... I hate measuring. But I do remember the water/pine sol is 50/50, and the ivory dish liquid is just a heavy squirt.

I've used these on the horses/cattle/dogs/sheep/goats with no problems whatsoever.

I bet you could sell the heck out of that on etsy. I guess it would work on other animals too right?

Wow, SoapyMom, those are some great suggestions too!

I think I'm going to try mixing AC Vinegar, OO, Garlic, and Citronella EO together and see how it works ;)

My dog is allergic to flies as well. She is on Advantage. But that takes several hours to kill a flee once it gets on the dog. So I treat the yard with lemon joy a few times a year. It helps keep lots of biting stuff away.

I made a spray for my pony yesterday..

Makes 250ml of product.

200ml strong tea(I use ordinary tea as mine is bright bay, but if your horse is a light colour then you can use chamomile)
20ml witch hazel
25ml vinegar
a teaspoon of washing up liquid to help the EO's mix with the watery solution
15 drops Palmarosa
10 drops Peppermint
15 drops Cedarwood
5 drops Sweet Basil

It smells much nicer than commercial sprays(and why Deet is allowed near anyone, let alone horses baffles me!!), and if, like me, you get eaten alive by the flies/gnats too you can use it on yourself too :)

HTH :)

Being breeders, we always had youngstock , so we use only ACV and water.....works as well as anything we have tried. We also have used a small bit of pine sol in the soln, with good results in the height of fly season. We did try the essential oil blends, and while they did work as well as our ACV soln, they were much more expensive.
You may want to try adding ACV to their drinking water --we had good results with that too.
Susan

ToniD said:
Random thoughts:

a person I know sprays vinegar water towards her animals faces when they are being ornery to teach them manners--it stings or something. If you want to use this on the horses face, maybe vinegar would not be a good idea. (I don't know what concentration she used)

That is the meanest thing I have heard in a very long time. Vinegar in your eyes can make you go blind & stings like fire. Please educate your friend.

Tabitha said:
ToniD said:
Random thoughts:

That is the meanest thing I have heard in a very long time. Vinegar in your eyes can make you go blind & stings like fire. Please educate your friend.

Agreed! What a bloody stupid thing to do :x :( No wonder the poor things play up if that's her idea of 'teaching manners'. Some people shouldn't be allowed to keep a rocking horse, let alone a live animal.

[/quote]a person I know sprays vinegar water towards her animals faces when they are being ornery to teach them manners--it stings or something. If you want to use this on the horses face, maybe vinegar would not be a good idea. (I don't know what concentration she used)
Wow. Never heard of such a thing :cry: Not my idea of teaching a 1200lb animal 'manners'

A vineager soln can be used safely on an animals face---when I apply it to our horses, I spray it on a cloth and wipe....but NEVER put it above the eyes----they sweat like we do and it can run into their eyes.

Susan

Latest posts

Back