First Salt bar for me.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiristia

Reaction score
I followed the instructions from this site. I think it is going to look really pretty. I'll post picts tomorrow.

One thing though the instructions noted for 60% of oil weight in salt. I guess I misunderstood because I took that to mean 60% salt 40% oils to make your total weight of soap. That was not the case. I planned on a 7lbs batch and ended up with almost 4lbs. That kinda sucked cause I had planned to make 7lbs. I have 2 (3.5lb) molds. So I had to make a second batch instead of doing it all at once. :cry:

Now I am tired. Need a shower and bed. Yall have a good night. :wink:

oops cant' sleep yet because I have a question. The person giving the instructions said they left it in the mold a little too long because they took a nap...

Just how long are you supposed to leave a salt bar in the mold?

As far as I know, just long enough for it to set up and you to be able to handle it. It, generally, needs to still be warm. I waited to long to cut mine too and the crumbled halfway through. You want them soft enough to cut through really easy, but still keep their shape. Hope that makes sense.

RockinRodeoChick said:
A Hope that makes sense.

Yes and no. I take it I can't go to bed because I will need to cut it up in a couple of hours. I molded it at about 8:00pm Central time (3hours ago).

If it wasn't totally mushy, I would go ahead and cut it now ... If you can handle it, cut it! otherwise it will crumble.

I just tried. It is pretty wet and mushing at my touch. I'll just stay up a little late and try again in an hour or two. Bobby Flay in making crapes anyway. :wink:

Well it's cut. Looks great. BUT It zapped me. Was it too early in the process to try that or does the time matter?

Tiristia said:
Well it's cut. Looks great. BUT It zapped me. Was it too early in the process to try that or does the time matter?

Pictures? :) It's too early to zap test it. It's not fully saponified yet. I'd wait till tomorrow and try it again.

I just made my first salt bar yesterday too! I used a pringles can for a mold and had to cut after an hour. Even then it still crumbeled a bit. :-(. Coukd you post the recipe you used?
Can you post some pics of yours? Next time I make a salt bar I think I am going to use a wire as a cutter..

Latest posts

Back