First Ever Soaps!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhitake

Reaction score
Hi all!! First post about my first soaps! The one on the left is my own recipe (see attached )which I forced gelled in the oven (made a mistake with this and left in the oven for 20 minutes before turning off the heat). It crumbled when I tried to cut it. Kind of like when you cut into chocolate. It lathers well though and I like the way it feels. I wanted creamy moisturizing lather but is there too much butters? I thought if you can use 60% lard in recipes then my ratio isn’t that off?
The right is from Brambleberry -Oat Milk Soap, which I refrigerated and let sit for 2 days before unmolding.
The Oat Milk soap is still kind of sticky. But I’ve realized if I cut it and let it cure it will probably be ok.
Hate the colors. Was trying to get white for the lighter layer but obviously didn’t use enough titanium dioxide 😟

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0075.png
    IMG_0075.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 0
Great job on your first soaps. I actually love the colors of the oatmilk soap - they are soft, soothing, and perfect for an oatmilk theme, The black and white one looks good, too. Well done!

Regardless of what all the blogs may say, soap doesn't moisturize - it only cleans. Even soap that shows a 0 cleansing number in the calculator will clean you (but it will probably take longer to work up the lather).

If I may ask, is there a reason you are using babassu? Coconut oil will behave almost identically in soap, and is much less expensive. I save all the pricey babassu for making hair products or skin products.

Great job on your first soaps. I actually love the colors of the oatmilk soap - they are soft, soothing, and perfect for an oatmilk theme, The black and white one looks good, too. Well done!

Regardless of what all the blogs may say, soap doesn't moisturize - it only cleans. Even soap that shows a 0 cleansing number in the calculator will clean you (but it will probably take longer to work up the lather).

If I may ask, is there a reason you are using babassu? Coconut oil will behave almost identically in soap, and is much less expensive. I save all the pricey babassu for making hair products or skin products.
Thank you for the compliment. I was trying to get mor vibrant colors in the Oat Milk soap but using what I had produced what I got -:)
Speaking of using what I had, I had the babassu and was looking to alternatives for coconut. I’d bought it so long ago that I didn’t realize it was expensive.
I’m going to try this again using only the kukum and mango and and adding palm or coconut?

Beautiful soap! You did great, starting out with layered and two color soap. I only did one color when I first made soap. :)
I’ve been making melt and pour for a while now so was comfortable with swirling and layering. For CPS I need to to get the hang of trace and oils vs butter 😏

Congratulations on your first cp soaps. I also like the colors.

You want to use coconut oil as a sub for babassu. Both of these oils are high in lauric and myristic fatty acids, which contribute to big fluffy bubbles. They also make soap that is very good at removing oils from your skin.

Palm oil can be subbed for any of the butters. Along with lard, tallow, and soy wax, they contribute the larger saturated fatty acids palmitic and stearic. The longevity of the soap increases as the amount of palmitic and stearic increases.

I would expect your recipe to produce a nice lather. 30% butters will make very nice soap, but it's on the expensive side.

Back