Fhs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I'm transitioning from commercial shampoos/conditioners to a home-crafted alternative, and have read a ton on funky hair syndrome, to try to know all I can about what to expect in general. Despite pages and pages of info and others' experiences, I'm not sure if what my hair is doing is what I should expect, or if something weird is going on instead.
I'm using the shampoo base from BB (ingredients), with my own fragrance mixture that I've tested and been using in products for a couple of years with no incident. Lather, rinse, repeat once.

My conditioner ingredients are:
425 grams Distilled Water
25 grams Vegetable Glycerin
25 grams BTMS 25
20 grams Sweet Almond Oil
26 grams fragrance (plus 3 drops liquid oxide)
5 grams Optiphen
5 grams Vitamin E Oil

My hair seemed to loooove the conditioner (applied sparingly to only the length, none at the scalp) - it was so soft! I had a bit of heaviness throughout, which I expected, as it needs to strip the gunk of years of commercial product from itself in time. 1 1/2 days since first washing, though, now my scalp is itching and driving me crazy, and I noticed last night that while my hair was still really soft, it was also *really* frizzy. I know to expect the weight and frizziness, but is the itching normal as well? I'm not sensitive to any of the ingredients in either product, and I don't have any rash or such, so I've ruled out a potential random allergic reaction. It's just something that has me curious. Perhaps I need to use a CA rinse, even though I'm using a base instead of wholly home-blended 'poo? :?

Anyway, enough from me, this morning! Any opinions or tidbits for me to consider are appreciated, as always. :)

Last edited:
I'm transitioning from commercial shampoos/conditioners to a home-crafted alternative, and have read a ton on funky hair syndrome, to try to know all I can about what to expect in general. Despite pages and pages of info and others' experiences, I'm not sure if what my hair is doing is what I should expect, or if something weird is going on instead.
I'm using the shampoo base from BB (ingredients), with my own fragrance mixture that I've tested and been using in products for a couple of years with no incident. Lather, rinse, repeat once.

My conditioner ingredients are:
425 grams Distilled Water
25 grams Vegetable Glycerin
25 grams BTMS 25
20 grams Sweet Almond Oil
26 grams fragrance (plus 3 drops liquid oxide)
5 grams Optiphen
5 grams Vitamin E Oil

My hair seemed to loooove the conditioner (applied sparingly to only the length, none at the scalp) - it was so soft! I had a bit of heaviness throughout, which I expected, as it needs to strip the gunk of years of commercial product from itself in time. 1 1/2 days since first washing, though, now my scalp is itching and driving me crazy, and I noticed last night that while my hair was still really soft, it was also *really* frizzy. I know to expect the weight and frizziness, but is the itching normal as well? I'm not sensitive to any of the ingredients in either product, and I don't have any rash or such, so I've ruled out a potential random allergic reaction. It's just something that has me curious. Perhaps I need to use a CA rinse, even though I'm using a base instead of wholly home-blended 'poo? :?

Anyway, enough from me, this morning! Any opinions or tidbits for me to consider are appreciated, as always. :)

I would be guessing something in the shampoo is bothering your scalp. I have become so sensitive to surfactants that I have to just use my bar soap on my hair. Which by the way I hate, but we just do what we have to. One reason I do not make and sell shampoo because it is cheaper to purchase even an upper end shampoo. Unless using soap shampoo has surfactants. Try a vinegar rinse and see if it helps. Many times it will help itching and will remove any residue left from the shampoo.

I just found an all-natural shampoo that helps with the itching. Alba(I found it at Walmart of all places!). Even with my own shampoo bars, I was still itching.(probably the store bought conditioner) I have now switched to all Alba products. So far, so good. One day I will get adventurous and make my own conditioner, but not today.

also ACV rinse, but if you don't like the smell, lemon rinse is great too.

it took me at least two months to get over the FHS, but I was also training my hair to not need washing as frequently. the acid really helped soften everything. now, I use my shampoo bar 3 times a week and my hair feels amazing after.

I'm going to try the rinse today. Thank you for the quick replies. I have crazy sensitive skin, so I'm always on the hunt for something more natural yet effective and affordable. As for the FHS frizz, I have curly hair, and wear it up 98% of the time, so it's not nearly as bothersome as the crazy itchies. I'll post how the rinse goes, tonight.

My scalp was itchy when I transitioned I had no fhs though. Give it some time. I would also suggest adding some dl panthanol to your conditioner you hair will thank you and you don't need much. You can also adjust the ph of your conditioner to avoid the step of the acid rinse. Good luck ☺

I have to ask, whats the difference between store bought shampoo and BB base? They are both detergent based so I don't see how the base is any better for your hair/scalp.
I have very itchy scalp, it gets so bad that it bleeds. Conditioner of any kind will irritate it, CP shampoo bars followed with a AV rinse is the only thing that stops the itching.

Right now, I'm easing into going natural, so I'm just getting away from commercial products anywhere I can. The BB base is a step in the direction I want to go, but the itching is driving me mad - I swear my dog offered her flea drops to me. ::snort:: I got some sls and paraben- free poo at the store tonight, after some deliberation, and I'm going to use that every other or third day, until I can get the itchies under control. Eventually, I'll be going to completely homemade poo, if I can push past the crazy irritation.

Just so you know, itchy scalp isn't normal for FHS. I think something else is going on, either your shampoo or conditioner is irritating your scalp. If it doesn't go away with the new poo, stop the conditioner for a bit and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back