Favorite lip balm oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

Going to start making lip balm and just wanted to know which are your favorite lip balm oils? I have used some handmade lip balm but didn't feel like it worked as well on my lips as the "store bought" stuff. So I was hoping to make some that was just as moisturizing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice!

Hey!
I like to use Beeswax and Olive Oil in all my lip balms, but after that, the sky is the limit. I have tried shea, lanolin, avacado, almond, jojoba, apricot...and I forget the rest.

I like all of them, but I discovered that I have a definite preference on the beeswax to liquid oil ratio more than a preferred oil combination. Start with 1 part beeswax to 2 parts liquid oils to 1 part solid at room temperature oils, and see how you like it. I use a harder formulation during the summer(it needs to pass the pocket test), and a softer one in the winter.

Do remember that 1 oz of lip balm mix will fill 7 0.15 oz tubes. So cut your recipe down to no more than 1 oz to begin with.

I too use beeswax and different ratios depending on desired hardness, but usually never go over 25% beeswax. My favorite oils in lip balm are mango butter, fractionated coconut, and castor. As you experiment, you will find what you like. For example I have found:
- too much cocoa butter makes my lips feel waxy
- shea tends to get gritty faster than any other butter
- too much avocado or olive oil make it too greasy for my liking - I use 5-10%
- l love a little castor for shine and moisture, but, again, not too much
- fractionated coconut makes a smooth glide, especially with the mango butter

There are so many other possibilities too. Some like to add IPM or other additives. So again, the old, standard advice is given here - experiment and find what you like.
Oh, and I need to add, my lip balm BLOW the "store bought" stuff out of the water!!!! So good!! IMO :)

...- shea tends to get gritty faster than any other butter...

I tempered my whole jar of shea butter when it came in. Fixed that whole gritty issue all at once.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?216196-Tempering-Shea-butter

And absolutely my lip balm is better than the store bought stuff! It is much better quality, I know everything in it, I don't have to worry that they changed the formula to include something I am allergic to, and I don't have to worry that the store is out of it. Also, I can make 7 tubes for the price of 1!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back