Facial soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I've been researching - mostly on here of course - facial bars because although my soaps are fine for my body my face doesn't like them

From what I can see most people add a luxury butter/oil to their facial bars but which is best? I'm looking on the Gracefruit website and they have Shea, cocoa, mango and avocado butters and also an avocado oil.

I think I'm leaning towards avocado but butter or oil??

Or am I just wasting money on something I don't need to add to make a good facial bar?

Anything with animal fat such as lard or tallow. If you are not into animal fat, maybe substitute with palm.
Plus olive oil, shea (or other butters), little bit of castor and NO coconut oil. Those will keep cleansing value low and might make your face happier.
Avocado oil might also be lovely in a facial bar. I made batch last week and forgot experiment with some. There's my reason to mix up another batch. :)
I keep SF on low 0-1% as my T-zone is a bit oily, but it's a personal preference.

I have yet to try 100% CO bars because I'm so sensitive to even 10% CO. Maybe with all the extra fat and salt (and milk) it would be different. I'll have to try it with a small batch sometime. I use 100% OO for my face. Also going to experiment with avocado oil.

You might try something like 50% OO, 50% lard. Thats one I use on my face and like it quite a bit. If you decide to use avocado, go for the oil. The butter is soybean based.

Several years ago, I was formulating a facial bar and did a blind test to see what people preferred. The overwhelming favorite was the one with avocado oil. I've never used the butter, only the oil, so I can't speak for that, but the oil is lovely.

Personally, I would use lard. A recent favorite of mine is 65% lard, 15% coconut and 20% sweet almond oil. Next I'm going to try it with 20% avocado oil.

Latest posts

Back