Eww...DOS in shortening!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkCupcake

Reaction score
Ok, not exactly soap related, but I have only seen DOS once, so this was interesting to me.

The back of my pantry is almost inaccessible, so when I was cleaning it out yesterday, I found an ancient can of shortening. I opened it, and was hit with a horrible rancid odor. And the shortening had turned slightly translucent, with an orange center. It was disgusting and fascinating at the same time.

How long do you think that shortening was back there? I've had jars still usable after being open two year.

Oh, I threw it away and then had to take the trash out because it made the whole kitchen smell bad. I don't use shortening very often, so it could have been in there for quite a few years. Ick. I have to keep a better eye on things in there!

The scary part is that the relish looked exactly the same as when I bought it -ewwww. But, yeah - the fridge has been overtaken by soapmaking supplies. Oh well! :)

Oh god, there's no telling what's in the back of our fridge! We both buy interesting-looking condiments or treats and then forget about them as they migrate to the back. Our chores are pretty equally distributed, but nobody is in charge of the fridge or pantry. I guess we should discuss that!

My DH constantly reminds me that the freezer is not a time machine LOL I hate throwing leftovers away and put them in the freezer thinking someday I'll make something with it. Most of the time you can't tell what it used to be because of so much freezer burn and ice crystals Yuck!

Latest posts

Back