Egg Yolk and Charcoal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm884

Reaction score
Has anyone used both egg yolk and charcoal in soap? I want to soap with both of them tonight and was just curious what peoples thoughts are on them

Charcoal at 1 -2 tsp PPO shouldn't interfere with anything, I should think.

Making my first yolk soap tomorrow! Got it all planned!!

Mine has no planning behind it LOL i wanted to soap and seen a lump of coal soap online so i decided I was gonna throw some charcoal and egg yolks into the rest of my oils that I need to get rid of!

I did add 1 tsp charcoal to darken the color for my mudyolk soap.

Such a low amount of charcoal probably only gives you color and nothing else.

I'm not sure. I brought the yolks up to room temp. Then I brought the soap to trace. I added the tiniest bit of traced soap to the egg yolk and began to stir and it just turned solid. I am not sure if it curdled or if the lye denatured the protein in the yolks or what.

What temperature have you soaped at ? Egg yolks are supposed to take even temperatures over 170 degrees for few minutes, without curdling.

If you got a sort of single-color curdle, you probably could have saved it by gradually adding warm water and blending.

If you got little yolk pieces inbetween the soap batter, that would be a problem, resulting in yolk-speckled soap.

Next time, make mayo first, by gradually adding oil to the yolk and maybe 1-2 tbsp warm water, and optionally a pinch of soap paste (like 1/2 tsp).

The water makes the mayo more runny, making it easier to incorporate it in the paste, and the soap paste possibly helps if you are a mayo newbie (I only tried this once though).

Well I just put to bed my first yolk soap!! I used charcoal as the swirl color, and put in a blend of EOs. It went great!! I chickened out in the end and made only a 1# recipe with 1 egg yolk rather than risking a larger batch.

To the egg, which I cleaned (that white part that hangs on to the yolk) I added some room temperature oils from my recipe and blended with that little latte whisk (those are so cool!) As I was waiting for the lye to cool down I noticed that the yolk mixture had set up a bit -- but I was able to blend it back together with the spatula before adding it to my pot. Then I soaped as usual. I soaped at 100 degrees.

Even had time for a swirl with a 1/2 tsp. charcoal powder. I'll post how it turned out later. Thanks for all the tips!! :)

Mine seems to have turned out just fine --- how about yours?? Just curious. :)

It will be a little while before I'll know if it feels silky or not. But the making of it went fine, and cut it looks good. No discoloration. But then again, I used charcoal so there's quite a lot of greys and black in there!!

I unmolded a few today but I got a partial gel so the bottoms are sticking so I left them be. I only ended up doing charcoal, I had a single color curdling of the eggs and after seeing what Fragola posted I probably could have saved it but I didn't want to risk ruining the batch (and I never seen the post till after I made the soap!)

I have pictures up in the photo gallery under charcoal monkey farts! I can't wait to see pictures of yours

Here is my 1# batch of egg yolk and charcoal soap!
I used anise and peppermint EOs.

I've only played with an end slice but I'm not noticing any difference. Maybe we need to put in more than 1 yolk PPO??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe ... Going over 2, I'd enter them into the calculator.

There was something on the tip of my tongue about charcoal. I believe it is somewhat anti-creamy. Probably clays aswell.

Something else ... going back in my memory, seems to me the creamy quality of eggyolk (2 ppo) was best shown in a slightly softer soap and higher superfat soap. Which was also whipped (which I believe helps it to lather better and more quickly).

While the harder version of that soap felt more silky than creamy. And the silky feeling is more subtle than the creamy one.

I am not making any sense, am I ?

But I love them both, also depending on my mood.

Latest posts

Back